K&K Bass Max or Gage Realist?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Ampig, Mar 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Does the Rev Solo require bridge modification - looks like it.

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Typically, it requires sanding the bridge wing a bit to widen it and to produce a "hot spot" or "bump" against which the RS sits.

Watch the video!

3. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    ...just found it. Thx!

4. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Despite the grumblings of some of our colleagues, I'll counter that the Bass Max is actually a durable, affordable, solid performer for lots of folks who find it to be an excellent pickup, particularly on the bluegrass circuit where the Kays and Engelhardts are thumpy. However - the caveat is that careful, detail-oriented installation is key; and perhaps some users being unaware of some important installation tips may have lead to some of the disparaging comments about it.

For instance, you need to provide flat and even contact to the bridge wood on BOTH sides of the pickup -- and have the right amount of pressure holding it in -- to get the best sound and feedback rejection. It's why we include an extra two pages of tips/instructions along with the pickup.

As for the Realist, it is usually not a good choice on a newer, laminated (plywood) bass. Being in direct contact with the top, you'll get much better results if the top is quite vibrant and full-range (which is generally less the case on plywood basses, especially relatively new ones.) I'd suggest the Realist Lifeline instead, if you have an adjustable bridge - it's got the same "girth" as the Realist Copperhead, but a bit more "detail" in its sound as well, as it's further up the bridge (and not against the body).

DC Bass, Michael Eisenman and carl h. like this.
  5. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Nice to hear from you, Mark. Are those 2 pages of BassMax instructions available at a link? Thx, Tom

6. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

How do Full Circles perform with laminate tops?

7. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    I don't have it as a download on the site, but if you email me through the contact us page on the website, I will forward a PDF copy to you.

8. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    They work quite well with laminated basses, the top doesn't play a significant role in the tone, imho.

9. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

Thanks Mark. I've always enjoyed doing business with you and your Dad.

Mark Gollihur and TomB like this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021