Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

K&K/Contra

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Don Higdon, Apr 1, 2002.

1. I'm using a customized (thanks to Bob Gollihur, who prevailed upon the factory) K&K and an AI Contra. No mic. I sat in with a guitar-vocalist duo for two sets.
    The first set, I was setting up as they were working, couldn't connect cables, etc., and Vic said "Leave it off, I hate amps," so I did the set acoustically. Second set, I played amped. At the end, they saw the light on and asked "Was that turned on? All I heard was the bass."
    That's the way it's supposed to be, right?
    Thanks K&K; thanks, AI; thanks, Bob.
    I've used Polytone, Fishman, Barbera, Ampeg (tube), and G-K; never got a sound like this before.

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Hi Don.
    May I ask what kind of customization went into the K&K, please? (a Bass Max I suppose)

TIA

3. It's kind of a stereo Bass Max. One channel from each bridge wing, stereo cable to 2 channel pre-amp, single wire output connected to a Realist.
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
    Sorry, I don't know what came over me. Single wire output to amp.
    (I think this is what I have. Only Bob knows for sure.)

4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    It's a custom job, nothing too complex.

We've taken a Bass Master Pro system (http://www.urbbob.com/bmaster.html) and, instead of pairing a Double Big Twin with the Bass Max, we've replaced it with another Bass Max that is specially wired.

They're placed in each wing, and the two channel preamp lets you EQ and control the volume of both transducer systems.

This came about as a result of a Frankenstein experiment that I suggested to Chris Fitzgerald, when his Bass Master Pro's Double Big Twin transducers were damaged.

However, it's not too unusual- Steve Azola uses two Bass Max pickups, wired passively, with some of his Electric Upright Bass models.

5. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    To me, that's one of the best compliments on your sound someone can make; it makes all the obsessing we bassists do about our sound worth it all when it comes from someone who knows what good sound should be.

I had a very similar experince Friday night. I had stopped using my Schertler Dyn-B into the cheap house PA at Maker's (got a nice farting sound from the speakers) and had been using an AKG C3000 mic instead. Unfortunately, when another drummer sat in about a week ago, our drummer / trumpeter went to the bar to listen and reported that I needed to do something different. He said the bass sound was great, but the high hat bleed was too distracting in the mix (small stage, so that couldn't be helped), and as the leader, I had to oblige him.

So, this weekend I went back to the Schertler rig with a different way of running it into the PA. This time I went into my ART mic preamp and cut the output level (on the ART) to the PA to about 25% and the input level from the Schertler to about 50%. Then, instead of using the XLR out to the PA, I used the 1/4" into the line input of the PA (so I wouldn't re-preamp the sound). Night and day difference; now I had the same clear acoustic sound I was getting with the Contra. (The leader likes me in the house mix rather than an amp as the stage volume is more natural than having to crank a bass amp in this large room)

Anyway, I thought it sounded nice, and Friday night a drummer came in I used to play with, who IMHO is the best jazz drummer in town. We were talking during a break when he said that he thought it was really cool that I was playing completely acoustic. When I told him that I wasn't and that I was in the house PA he was really surprised. He was so skeptical that he had to sit right next to one of the speakers before he would believe me.

As I said, one of the best feelings you can get.l

Monte

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    And this "Frankenstein Experiment" - complete with black duct tape on the lead from the treble side of the bridge - still lives on my bass in exactly the same form as the night I wired all of that **** together while Bob patiently talked me through it on the phone. If it ain't broke.....

With my DBM/Trinity setup into the Clarus/8"PA cab, I get those "sorry you had to carry an amp you didn't end up using" comments after the gig a lot, even though I always use just a smidge even on quiet gigs. And whoever said it is dead on: that most definitely IS what it's all about.