Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

K&K pickup tips

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Noam Elron, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Noam Elron

Noam Elron

Apr 14, 2005
    Haifa, Israel
    Hello all,

This is my first message to talkbass. I'm a long time lurker, but so far the forums have answered all my questions before I needed to ask.

I am looking to upgrade my pickup. Two of the strong contenders are the K&K Bass Master Pro (can you believe that name?) and the double headed version of the Bass Max (two BassMax-s wired to one streo output).
    Both go for the same price.

Has anybody tried out both? What are the pros and cons of each option? why is the double bass max prefearble to just two unrelated bass maxes?
    One of the reasons I'm upgrading is unacceptable bow sound from my Fishman BP-100.
    I play a chinese ply which is not too bad (and not too good).

Thanks
    Noam

2. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Please consider the Revolution Solo. Same price range. Fabulous pizz sound. Arco requires care.
    Also in this range are Pick-Up the World and Fishman Full Circle. I got better arco sound with these two, but PUTW was kind of fragile.
    I can't comment on bass master pro. I have had single and double bass max, which were a huge improvement over BP100.
    BTW, I've had great customer support from PUTW and Upton (Revolution Solo).

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I can only speak about the K&K Bass Max vs. the Upton Revolution. In my opinion, the Upton pickup leaves the K&K in the dust. Check out the various posts here and you will read over and over again that the Revolution, through many amps, actually ends up sounding like YOUR BASS. That's my experience as well. I spent a fair amount on my bass and the last thing I wanted was to mask its sound (which I really like) with a lousy pickup that transforms it into a bass guitar. I've tried a number of configurations, including bridge-wing pickup/microphone mix. Once I tried the Revolution, I was done! The only way I can imagine substantially improving my amplified sound would be to spend $600+ on a really fine microphone. No, thanks.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I can't speak for the Upton pickup, as I've never heard one. But between the two K&K units you mention, I think the double Bass Max is by far the better pickup. The BMP includes four quad elements that stick on the bridge; to my ears, these elements always sounded very "BP-100like". I ended up building a makeshift second Bass Max out of two of the elements, and using the two BM's as a stereo unit for years before finally settling on my current rig. Good luck.

5. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    There's a strange synergy with the BMP to my ears - I don't particularly like the sound of either its two separate parts (Bass Max or Double Big Twin) but put them together in the BMP package, and the sound is the best I've heard to date. Rich, accurate and very powerful. I can't hear a sonic signature to it, which is the best compliment I can give. I got to the BMP after trying the 2 K&K's separately, a Realist, Full Circle, and a Schertler Dyn-B. The BMP was clearly the best sounding to my ears. By the way, I'm not seeking the 'old school' sound - I want to hear the whole sound; string, wood and body. For an 'old school' sound, the BMP is not the choice.

6. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Of the two options you mentioned, I only have experience with the Bass Master Pro.

But I think I can safely say you’ll get more “string” sound to work with through the BMP. I associate this with a more modern, forward type of tone.

I can also say that one Bass Max by itself has a good amount of “string” in it too, and enough for my taste.