Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

K&K pre amps and others

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by LeftyFenderJazz, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Can anyone tell me their experiences with K&K pre amps?

Also are K&K the only ones who makes small pre amp units like these?

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Fishman also makes a small preamp; the B-II.
    I have an old Boss FA-1 FET preamp, which may be discontinued.

3. They're fine - they work quite well, but I stopped using mine when I found that the Raven-Labs PMB-1 works perfectly well with both the K & K Bass Max and the Golden Trinity. The PMB-1 is much more flexible (well, it's also much more $$), but it is beautifully made. The K & K pre-amp doesn't lend itself to tweakage (involves removing the cover), but then again, once you've found "your sound", you shouldn't have to do much tweaking.

Hope this helps -

- Wil

4. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    I used the K&K Powerpack for a while (I'll sell it if you are looking for one). However, I tried a few others and found the Tech 21 Acoustic DI to be a much more versatile and better sounding piece. Since it is a DI as well as a preamp, you can also plug direct into the board in venues where you have good monitors.

5. Nick Ara

Nick Ara

Jul 22, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I'd have to agree, having tried several pre-amp/DI alternatives. I recall reading that the Tech 21 acoustic DI is preferred by many EB players over the Bass DI, also made by Tech 21 which I found interesting.

6. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    I use it for both as well. It fattens up the sound of the electric and smooths out the Bass Max on the DB. In fact, I am now using it alone as the only preamp in my signal chain to drive a small Stewart power amp and a 2x10 cab. This is my current solution to the doubler's dilemma over what amp to bring to a gig. I add a Boss compressor pedal to the electric bass and run both through a simple A/B switch in front of the Sansamp.