K&M Bass Stool

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by dday110, Mar 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. dday110

dday110

Jul 14, 2004
    Cleveland, OH
    Hey all, anyone have any familiarity with this stool? I normally play standing up, with a laborie endpin. However, for musicals, it is nice sometimes to sit. I do not find normal stools or rock-n-soc's comfortable to play with, as it either makes a pressure point on my legs, or forces the quads off the stool parallel to the floor, instead of angled... So, I am looking at this as an option. I think having the tilted feature to match what would be the quad angle coming down from the stool would be much better than sitting on the edge of a regular school. Any thoughts? anyone try this before? Sure, I can always return it to G.C. but figured I'd ask here first. (I've also tried using a standard endpin, and a shorter Laborie endpin and still find no comfortable angle with regular stools...)

K&M Performance Stool with Pneumatic Spring

2. I've had one for a couple of years. Highly recommended - very comfortable, easy to dial in to your exact preferences, beautifully designed and constructed. A bit of internet searching will save you some money over GC.

3. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Inactive

Nov 20, 2000
    Harrison Mills
    For several years this lighter weight stool has been my go-to for dragging around to restaurant gigs. The K&M I've had for 18 months or so is much more comfortable and what I use at home or anywhere I can stay setup. But I would buy it from somewhere you can easily return it....the saddle shape is not to everyone's taste. I don't mind it at all but given the choice would probably go for a more rounded seat. That said I give this stool an 8 for design, comfort and overall value, a 7 for portability and a 9 for build quality.

I bought the optional K&M back rest but almost never use it....although it does make a wonderful place to hang your coat. I also went for the one without the spring. Moving parts I don't need did not appeal.

4. I bought the pneumatic spring model because it was cheaper than the non-pneumatic model for some reason. I don't think it's worth spending money for this feature if there's a significant difference in price. I considered the backrest and am glad I didn't bother after reading Jeff's review.

5. dday110

dday110

Jul 14, 2004
    Cleveland, OH
    Does the K&M stool move up and down while playing? Or is the spring only in use when adjusting the height? I'm looking to have it in the pit full time, so portability only matters at the start and end of a show run.

6. The height is set by loosening and then pulling on the front-tube knob, then dropping it into the desired hole (spring loaded detent pin). The spring's only in use when adjusting the height.

dday110 likes this.
  7. dday110

dday110

Jul 14, 2004
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks, that makes sense! I couldn't see in the pictures how it would be moveable.. (Like a desk chair).

8. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Inactive

Nov 20, 2000
    Harrison Mills
    It'll probably be a great one for you then. My only real knock against it that it's a little heavy and bulky to do a one trip from the car with it, combo amp and bass. The adjustability of the seat and foot rest heights make it usable with the endpin all the way in which in a cramped pit might be kinda nice.