Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

kahler bass trem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by sub forum, Feb 24, 2004.

1. sub forum

sub forum

Jan 2, 2004
    glasgow
    just wondering if any one has used a kahler bass trem ?i picked one up on e-bay for £40 .how easy are they to fit?
    are the any good? should i believe the hype ? etc :confused:
    i have only seen 4 in my life mostly in the 1980's .rodger glover,billy sheehan,nikki sixx and blacky(voivod) all used them on various basses, but i havent seen one in use for ages.any pointers would be welcome before i start chopping up one of my basses. :bassist:

2. There may be a very good reason you haven't seen them in use...they aren't useful!

All of the bassists you've mentioned moved on from the trem.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The Kahler is by far the easiest bass tremolo to retrofit, and they were known for their tuning stability. They're great, and a lot of fun, but a novelty at best. With the low pitches coming out of your bass, the effect is subtle, and rather awkward. Sure, they're fun and I'd love to have another, but money just doesn't allow many toys for me right now.

4. sub forum

sub forum

Jan 2, 2004
    glasgow
    iv'e had a chat with my local luthier friend and he said it should be no problem to fit,im going to read some more feedback before i decide,the novelty factor is there cant deny that and also i want to use it just to subtly enhance my playing technique, something new to try so to speak.i saw deep purple last year (again) and rodger glover was using it on a vigier bass to some effect and it looked cool :cool:

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I've got one on my '79 Ibanez Musician. It is fun but not really useful. I've gigged w/ that bass, and forget to put the trem arm on, and haven't missed it.