Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

kahler bass tremelo

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sixstringbass, Feb 1, 2006.

1. :meh: im thinking of buying one for a bass im gonna begin building in a couple of days but wanted to know if anyone else has used them? how well they work and if theyre worth $350.

2. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    I believe they are.

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Stanley Clarke used one...:cool:

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    As does Claypool.

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    And wooten for that matter.

yes, I think if you'll put it to use it's worth it, all the way!

6. And let's not forget Victor!

7. Ah, you beat me, Chris!

I've only had trouble with their fixed bridge where each string has its own assembly. It can be a pain to intonate. My friends that have the tremolo bridge have nothing but good things to say about it.

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    yes, I've heard tht if you can taek the blow financially there is a lot of fun to be had with the kahler!

Also, I've just spied that Surine 6'er you have for sale...what a beauty! If I only had the cash :meh: it looks like my kinda bass!

9. For those that have had actual hands-on experience with this piece... How well does the bass keep its tuning? My brother has a Peavey with a tremelo (guitar) and it holds tuning for about 5 minutes. :rollno:

-ryan-

10. If your lucky you might find a used bass with a tremolo on it, that's what I did, save good amount of money that way, try posting a wanted AD in those forums here thats where i found mine ;-)
    They hold there tunning really well, but also note that the Bass itself will play a factor in how well it holds tunning its not just the bridge, also with mine if i were to push down it would reset to a spot, however if i were to pull up on the bar it would reset to a higher spot, (let me try to clarify) if i have it tuned standard EADG then hold down on the bar and pitch bend down the notes down when i relese it will return to EADG, however if i were to bull the bar up and pitch bend up the notes when i realase the tuning will be about E#A#D#G#, at first it was always offseting my tunning until i figured this out, I'm not sure if this will happen with all khaulers or mine is just old, other then taht though, it will hold its tunning very well for days usualy with very little ofset

11. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    How about those hipshot tremolos? They're around 150$ i think. From experience, hipshot makes good quality stuff. I dunno about their tremolo tho. Maybe it could save you a few bucks. Anyone have experience with those?

12. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I have a bass being built at the moment that will sport a Kahler tremolo.

[​IMG]

It's almost done, so I'll post my thoughts on it once I get it.

I looked around and did my research before settling on the Kahler. I chose the Kahler for several different reasons.

1. Less routing required
    2. Better design (to be fair, I've never used any bass tremolo before)
    3. Looks better (IMO)

Was it worth the money? Only time will tell.

You can also read up on other posts

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1840310

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2553749&postcount=18

13. anyone got the site

14. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    It's a vibrato.

And a Whammy or other exp pedal controlled pitch shifter will do the same thing (and more), for a lot less money. You might want to look at that option also.