Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kahler basstremelo and sustain

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Arjan, May 5, 2002.

1. Arjan

Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    I have this kahler whammybar for years and I must say that it still works perfect.
    The only thing I was wondering about is if the kahler degrades the sustain. I never had any other bridge on my bass so I don't know.
    The fact is that G on the low E-string doesn't sound as good/clear as the other notes (deadspot?).
    I know my instrument is a 32" scale, so maybe it has something to do with that. Also, the bass is neckthrough and 5 piece laminate of maple and mahagony with a very thick ebony fretboard.
    The other thing I noticed is that it also really depends on the strings I use. With GHS boomers the problem is pretty clear. But when I install SS Rotosounds the problem is almost gone.
    Nonetheless I'm still very happy with my bass (I almost build it myself except for the fretting and glueing of the neck). It plays like a dream.

Maybe some of you Luthiers can give me answers to these questions.

2. i'm going to move this to the setup forum.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It is very possible that the tremelo system is dampening the sustain.

First of all the floating system only as few witness points to the body, rather a solid contact.

Secondly, you removed about 20 percent of the mass of the body in order to create the cavities for the tremelo system.

Those two factors, certainly have the potential to dampen the sustain.

chas