Kahler bridge mounting

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by embellisher, Sep 6, 2004.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have a Kahler six string bass bridge that I want to mount on my Ibanez SR506.

It looks to me as if the bridge is supposed to be mounted at a slight angle.

The way that the baseplate is designed, if you mount the front of it parallel to the end of the fingerboard, then the sides of the bridge are not parallel to the sides of the fingerboard. It seems logical to me that the sides of the bridge need to be parallel with the sides of the fingerboard, but I could be wrong.

Here is a picture.

Does anybody here have a bass with this bridge? If so, how is it mounted?

How do I determine if the bridge needs to be countersunk? Several pictures of Warmoth Geckos that I saw a couple of years ago looked as if the bridge was countersunk. I eyeballed it with the stock bridge, and it looks as if the saddles will be the correct height without having to countersink it, but is that good enough?

Also, if the footprint of the new bridge winds up being at a slight angle compared to the footprint of the old bridge, what point do I line up the new bridge with? Would I line it up with the treble side, which is closest to the neck? Or would I line it up with the bass side, which would put the treble side about 1/4" - 3/8" closer to the neck than the old bridge?
  2. You're right, the bridge should be at an angle. That angle will be automatically divined when you line the saddle mechanisms up with the centerline of the neck. I don't know if that's clear but it won't be hard to accomplish. Perhaps take a straight thin piece of wood and wedge it between the 2 center saddles. This will give you an extended centerline to position parallel to the centerline of the neck.

Positioning is something else. I would measure and note the positions of the current saddles. Mark the closest and the furthest saddle to the neck and use these points as the extent of the range of your intonation. Then extend all of the saddles to 75% of full forward and then position the bridge so that the speaking point on the saddles is within the range you established from your old saddles. Then I would take a moment to look and see if that is about right for the application. Really scope it out and make sure that's where it should be. Then and only then would I bolt it down.

Determining whether to countersink or not is easy too. Lower all of the saddles down to flush with the bases. Put the bridge right up next to the heel of the neck and lay a short straightedge from the saddle to the frets. If the saddle end of the straightedge is even or lower then the frets, you've got plenty of depth already. If it is higher than the frets you might be in need of a little inletting to sink the bridge.

Hey get back to me on PM if we need to sort this out further.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks for the info and advice, Hammy.:cool:

I am probably going to tackle this tomorrow night. Thursday is usually rehearsal, but the guitarist is out of town. That will give me something 'music related' to do.:)