Kahler tremlo bar or others..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassjamn, Jan 4, 2002.

1. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    I am looking for a tremlo bar that will fit a pedulla series II(needs some upgrading!), perhaps a kahler or other if anyone knows a good one to look at.

Websites or any info appreciated...
  2. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    Here's a site for a guy who is supposed to be the distributor for the new Kahler re-issues this spring. I've been trying to get a hold of this guy (out of Victoria, BC, Canada) for MONTHS but I've yet to recieve a personal email. Kinda sketchy, if you ask me...a website and all, but NO responses regarding availability or sizing of the upcoming whammy bars.

Though, to his defense, the guy who runs the Carl Thompson site told me that this guy is working on a physics degree and has no time to answer emails. You'd think, then, he'd post something like that on his site. Who knows...good luck, tell me if you get a bite!

...still wanting a whammy for my Modulus 4...waiting...waiting...:(
  3. Funny I've never heard of this guy. His address is legit, he's out in the boonies though. Strange that his prices are in US..... I dunno, if you have any luck with him, let me know cause I've been thinking about a floating bridge for a while now.... but I would presume a Floyd-Rose style system would be better at keeping the bass in tune.
  4. Most guitarist I know lock-out thier F-R trems. If not fully, then at least they lock-out the up-bending portion. A Floating trem is a good way to allow one string that's out of tune to screw up the rest of the strings. It's a dependence of string tension issue. For keeping a bass in tune, a standard bridge is prolly the best choice.

I'd never worry about a string bending issue. I'll do it with my left hand. Or just play the fretless. But hey, each his own..right?
  5. Who needs a tremolo for bass???
  6. Do a search on TB for Kahler.
    Bass trems are good for about 3 bends.

I would not but a Trem on a Pedulla or a Modulus.
    You will define the word regret.

If you "need" a trem buy a cheap Fender and put it on that.
    A Floyd Rose trem might be better but they don't make one.
  7. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    I've wondered why Kahler didn't have a locking nut to go along with their bass trems... :confused:

Hey tufnuts, you in Wichita? I'm in Derby (while on vacation from cruise ship life for the holidays)...I went to music school at WSU 91-96. Where ya playin'?
  8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I had a Kahler termolo put on a Rickenbacher I had many, many moons ago. Its installation really ruined the bass.

- it didn't stay in tune worth a crap
    - three or four "dive bombs" and the string would break, bass-wound strings are just not made to flex
    - sustain of the bass was compromised

These are just bad ideas for bass, IMO
  9. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Thanks for the info all, I will try lookin for floyd rose along with the kahlers

Gruff: This isnt one of the high end pedulla's, It's from 92-93 and all maple - pedulla's lower end model(kinda precision-ish sounding) i bought as my 2nd bass when first starting. I have a Zon sonus as my main bass now and wanted to experiment with some new things on the pedulla.

Wouldnt dream of destroying a sweet high end pedulla :)
  10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I've only heard bad things about tremolos on basses, but Victor Wooten has one on his main bass and we all know what he sounds like.
  11. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    Most of the photos I've seen of Victor playing his '83 Fodera w/Kahler doesn't have the bar attatched. I've heard very little of Vic dive bombing and such.

Also, I've never, ever seen a Floyd Rose Bass Tremolo. If ya'lls find one be sure and post a pix of it here!

...still, would dig having a whammy-clad bass. Can you believe I played a fretless Carvin years ago with a Kahler? Though, with the above enlightening comments about it wrecking my beloved Quantum 4 I'll just put it on my Ashbory. :D
  12. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    best bars imo are floyd rose style ones. Dont know if they make those type for basses though.
  13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    The only Floyd Rose I've ever seen for bass was one used by one of Miles Davis' last bass players--a guy who went by "Foley." He only played piccolo, and he had a custom made Floyd Rose.

Edit: Coincidentally, I've got a black Kahler Bass Tremolo that I'd be willing to sell. If anyone is interested, shoot me a PM. After positive thread, I'm sure you're all chomping at the bit to try one out. ;)
  14. Bass trems are not designed to be used the same way as a Floyd Rose. You cannot really do any dive bombs with it, or anything of that manner. Consider it more like a Bigsby trem, where its for more of a vibrato effect. Also, there is a difference between a guitar trem, and a Bass trem. For what i know, Fender does NOT make a trem for bass, neigher does Floyd rose. On top of that, you will be truly destroying the bass by installing it, due to the neccessary routing that needs to be done in order to contain the springs. For a rough idea, look at the back of a "hardtail" strat, and a strat with a trem. Take off the back cover of the one with the trem, notice how much room the spring cavity takes up. Now think of the tone change due to a big hole in your bass. Does it still seem like a good idea?
  15. Out of curiousity, how much would a bass tremolo bar cost?
  16. john b carvalho

john b carvalho Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2001
    I have to agree with Muttluk,the kahler tremolo or for that matter any type of tremolo system designed for bass were not intended to do dive bombs and the sort.But more of a subtle vibrato.I had one which was installed a few years ago on a bass that I still have,but that is no longer playable (broken truss-rod/cracked head stock).I still have the tremolo unit,but it's just sitting in my desk.