Kahler Trem's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by surge, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Hello,
    wondering if anyone could please share their experiences with Kahlers, or any other brands, of bass tremelo?
    Basically, I am wondering how well they hold the basses tuning, how reliable they are and the pro's and con's of having one installed? (aside from having the ability to bend the crap out of notes). Do they work as solidly as a traditional bridge when not in use?
    Any experienced tremapheliacs care to shed some light on the experiences?
    Thanks in advance,
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have a Kahler. I like it but it's not without its problems. The bass I have it on, a custom 4 string, has a thick fingerboard with a pretty deep pitch on the body, so I used to break strings on it all the time until I made a little plate out of pickguard material to stick under it and raise it up and make the strings' break angle not so severe. But I could never get any real deep bending motion out of it until someone on the net told me they thought my springs were shot. So I had to buy a new set of springs for it, and now it works great.

As for how it sounds when not using it as a whammy bridge, I think it sounds fine. I don't really notice any difference in sound whatsoever between it and a fixed bridge. Dave LaRue uses Kahlers on a lot of his Sterling basses, and I always thought his basses sounded pretty well identical to the fixed bridge Sterlings I've played. They stay in tune great, even with severe whammying, but like all trem bridges, you have to bring the bar back instead of hitting it and just letting it go. You also have to tune your bass while whammying, otherwise the string doesn't get used to the motion and it will go out of tune.

So my bottom line is I really like it now that I've got it working properly, but I have no desire to get another bass with one.
  3. Thankyou JimmyM, thats a fantastic review and excellent advice.
    It sounds to me like if I was to go down the Kahler path, I would probably need to do it to a "3rd bass" as opposed to my 2 main players.
    Love ya work, thanks again.