1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Sale Kai Arvi bass #25

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by mjt0229, Dec 21, 2018.

1. mjt0229

mjt0229 Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Price:
    Strings:
    I'm selling my Kai Arvi bass. It's #25, made in 1987. It's typical of Arvi basses - good craftsmanship, beautiful flamed wood, dark stain. Since I have owned it in 2007 it's been well cared for, with regular visits to Jed Kriegel and Sarah Balmforth. Jed fitted a C-extension with a gate at the E. The bass has had some problems in the past (scroll trauma, a few cracks) but it was recently checked out by a luthier in town and given a clean bill of health. I really love this instrument, but I need to make room for a bass being made for me by Seth Kimmel in 2019.

It's currently strung up with Spirocore Weichs, but it sounds great with Kaplans, or a combination of Permanent A-E, Flex Deluxe D-G. I have used this bass with amateur orchestras in Massachusetts and Washington for ten years; it's a big bass and it can fill a room.

Comes with a blue Messina Covers bag that's in excellent condition.

I'm located in Bellingham WA. I can potentially meet a committed prospective buyer elsewhere in the PNW, within reason and subject to some negotiation.

IMG-3517.JPG IMG-3520.JPG IMG-3515.JPG IMG-3513.JPG IMG-3511.JPG

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    jallenbass likes this.
  2. mjt0229

Aug 8, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    I've gotten a few requests for sound samples, so here they are. Please excuse my amateur playing:

3. Reitman

Reitman

May 17, 2017
    Hello! My name is Noah Reitman. I’m in the symphony up in Vancouver. I was wondering if the bass is still for sale? I’d be happy to come down to Bellingham and check it out if so.

Do you know the string length off hand?

Thanks,
    Noah

4. mjt0229

Aug 8, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Still for sale. I think the string length is about 42". I've seen other more recent Arvis for sale that are shorter, but I think most of the older ones are all about the same. DM me if you'd to arrange a visit. Under certain circumstances I could come up to Vancouver, too.

5. mjt0229

Aug 8, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    I'm away from home until Saturday, I can measure the string length and confirm when I'm home.