Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kai Arvi - bass builder info please.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Dad, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Dad

Dad

Dec 5, 2002
    Kingston ns canada
    "Undercover" American living in Canada builds double basses and sells on the road... that's all I know except they are in demand. Since he is only a few hours away, am interested in learning more about him and his shop and instruments before bothering him.

Anyone ever heard of him or his work?
    Anyone own one if his 'tickle trunks'?
    (My attempt at cuteness)

Thanks,
    Kevin in NS

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Tickles trunks? This is a G-rated site, right?

Anyhoo. I think his older basses were known to crack along the bass bar, which doesn't seem to dissuade folks from getting into his basses. I could be mistaking Arvi for another guy, but I'm pretty sure I have it right. I think he might have solved this problem with his newer fiddles. Other than that, I have the perception that they are well liked by those that have them.

3. Dad

Dad

Dec 5, 2002
    Kingston ns canada
    Kai Arvi now lives in/on Prince Edward Island, (PEI) and sells to New England market ... 15K price range for DB Classical musicians only so far or so I've heard,so not sure if this is same gent when I've seen Want Ads for 14k for used gear. thanks

4. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    Try Rhode Island Orchestra??

5. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    I bought a new bass from Kai last summer after doing a ton of shopping for two years. I couldn't be happier with it. As far as I'm concerned, you can't get better value for the money, and his basses have won players lots of auditions for great jobs.

The winner of the recent Baltimore audition played an Arvi, I'm told, in prevailing over many scores of fine players.

In any case, I'd recommend trying an Arvi if you're looking in that price range. It might be what you're looking for.

6. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    Kai stopped at my house last night on the way from his place on Prince Edward Island to points south.

He had with him a new five-string bass he had just finished, based on essentially the same model as his four-string basses.

I'm no expert on five-string basses, but it sure seemed like a nice instrument to me. Having that low B string is a real plus, and on his bass it rattled the walls.

7. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    Thanks for that. I'm off to Prince Edward Island today for other reasons and the weather is supposed to be fierce so KA made the right move.

Thanks for the update.
    ps any price range on the 4 and 5 string beauties?

8. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    To be frank, I didn't ask about prices. I'm not currently in the market, so I was interested in the five mostly from curiosity.

I'm sure that Kai would gladly quote you his current prices.

9. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    Thanks again.

10. Josh F

Josh F

Feb 14, 2008
    Hi guys,

I'm new here. I'm in the market for a bass and I'm really interested in Kai Arvi's basses. But I can't find any information about him anywhere. Some of you have said you know him, or know how to get a hold of him. Would you please share that information with me?

Thanks very much!

Josh F

11. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    I have a beautiful Arvi bass that I might consider selling. Email me if interested.