Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kai Eckhardt technic ?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Shiveringbass, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Hello,

Well I've discovered this fantastic player quite recently and browsing through his site and listening to the soundclip... I was quite pissed off.
    http://www.kaizone.com/sounds.html

:meh:
    :confused:

Well could someone explain or know what is happening in the first soundclip named "Bass solo".
    I guess it's a mixture of slap and taping but I realy can't understandwhat the man is doing exactly and how he does it...

It would be great if someone could explain that technic.

Thanks to share

Sheers

Shiveringbass

2. Hi dude - Yeah I know what you mean about this as it's a great piece of solo bass, not just for the technique but it's very musical as well. As per the technique you enquire about I just listened and played a bit to work it out and basically it's a lot of thumb bouncing - not double thumbing - with hammer-ons - not tapping, and of course finger pops as well - the main difficulty is the speed at which he does the thumb bounces (he does them a lot and he's bloody brilliant at it) but it's also a lot of plucking on the same string - if you listen carefully you can really hear when he switches string and between thumb, pop and hammer. Basically it's beautifully executed and would require a ton of practice to cop it exactly - one thing I would suggest is getting hold of the 'Amazing Slow Downer' software - I don't have it but it slows things down without changing the pitch - if you slow it down you'll be able to hear what he's doing a lot clearer - also Kai is one of the best bassists out there and a master of his art - I'm sure it took him a lot of time and effort to develop this style too - plus you don't get asked to play with John McLaughlin for nothing...;)

Good luck

M

3. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Thanks Mike... for sure Kai is realy a great player not only by his chops but also by his musicality.

What do you mean by "thumb bouncing" ?

Thanks for your help. I don't have, yet :), the ambition to play that piece but if I could only catch a small bit of it, I would be tataly happy !
    :)

Sheers

4. "Thumb bouncing" = I mean like old-school / traditional slap bass where you pluck a note then bounce your thumb twice in quick succession - like Flea does - Mark King is the other guy who has this style completely under control - you might want to look up some Marcus Miller videos as well - do a search on slapping in this forum and you should get some good advice from the hundreds of threads on the subject.

M

5. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    OK Mike, I thought you were talking of something I didn't know but in fact it's basicaly two fast thumb strikes...
    So it's even more impressive cause it means that Mr Eckhard has the fastest thumb I've ever heard !

Sorry... I guess that now I've just have to go back to practice...
    ;)
    :)

Sheers