Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kai Eckhardt+Trilok Gurtu

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by lefty007, May 12, 2005.

1. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Man, I don't know how much you guys are familiar with these two cats, but that recording from John McLaughlin Trio: "Live at the Royal Festival Hall" from 1990 has to be one of the best fusion (and bass playing) CDs in history.

It sounds as fresh as if it was recorded yesterday.

Amazing! :eek:

2. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I really dig Gurtu's African Fantasy w/ Eckhardt. I just noticed he's got a new one out. Those cats can play, huh?

3. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    I actually got to do a recording a project that featured Kai on bass, as well as John Fishman on drums. Definately a good bass player, not my style but I still recognize :D

4. Lefty, check out John McLaughlins cd Que Alegria if you want to hear some more of Kai and Trilok as well as another fantastic player Dominic DiPiazza. This will really lay your ears back I guarantee. :bassist:

5. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Dubble, thanks, yes, I got that already. I'm pretty much collecting everything recorded by Kai. I still have to get the live Garaj Mahal -- I only have the studio.

He just floors me: to me he is one of the most original voices in bass playing today (yes, within world music/jazz).

His fretless sound and his phrasing are just incredible. :rolleyes:

6. are both amazing. I had heard Kai recently toured with Garage Majal but haven't been able to find anything about them. Hearing Trilok is one thing, seeing him is another. He does not use a kick, he kneels on one knee and plays bass drum parts on a low tuned tom. All the more amazing!

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Trilok is insane.
    One of the best drummers I've ever seen.
    Kai is also very cool.
    Seen J.M. with Trilok and Kai, and with Trilok and Jonas Hellborg.
    Dug the show with Hellborg better.
    There groove was heavy.

8. basszenny

basszenny

May 9, 2005
    [​IMG]

amazzing!!!