Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kai of Garaj Mahal

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Guinea Pig, Nov 5, 2005.

1. I've been listening to Garaj Mahal for a year and absolutly love their music. I finally got the chance to see them play last night in madison FREE ADMISTION! It was one of the best shows i've ever seen. Hands down their the tightest band i've watched and wow is kai just absolutly amazing. I got the privillege to stand only a few feet away from him as he just rocked the house. Kai is exactly where i want ot be in bass playing....too bad he got their before me :smug: Oh well i do some stuff he doesn't and vice versa.

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Great player, great band!!! I started following Kai's career when he was in Vital Information....he hasn't let me down yet :bassist:

3. wow thank you jerry, im really shocked i havn't got anymore replies....

4. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Kai is a great player alright!! Another recording of his brilliance that comes highly recommended is "John McLaughlin Trio - Live at The Royal Festival Hall"

5. Kai is an amazing combination of badass and spitually enlightened individual. just love his playing. last year on tour we played a bunch of the same venues as Garaj about a week after they did and everyone told us amazing things about them. must be a gazillion bootlegs of them available out there... you'll find gems in every single one of them!

:D

6. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Kai rocks. Except for the singing. Sorry had to say that.

The latter statement is COMPLETELY overshadowed by how much Kai rocks. So does everyone else in the Garaj.

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I mixed an amazing wedding show that Garaj Mahal played out here last year. They played for over 6 hours, but were only contracted for 2 1/4 ! They all rip, all I can say. Really cool guys too.

SMASH posted long clips of a Vancouver show on Talkbass a while back. Live recordings are everywhere as well.

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Great bassist, really insightful and personable... One of my favorites.

9. i really regret not going up to him and talking to him for a bit, i just didn't feel worthy..... :crying:

10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    why? he's pretty approachable.

11. thats why i regret it....im a pretty shy character when it comes to approaching people i look up to.

12. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    hi my name is john and im also a garaj mahalic. :smug:

their version of "fly like and eagle" is soo very badass.

video available for d/l at groovetv

13. hi, John!

:p

14. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Yeah, their Fly Like an Eagle is hot. Does Fareed do this in every one? I have a live VCD where in the middle of the song he goes off on this big rant about how basically american eagles aren't very nice creatures. He says stuff like they're one of the most voracious carnivores on the planet, etc. Anybody else hear him go off like that? It's kind of like he was saying 'what was Steve Miller thinking?' Anyway, cool song - where's my Big Apple 5? Kai rules.

Poodle Factory!

Haha, I just noticed you mentioned groovetv. Those are the only videos I have of them - I think there's 2 on that site.

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, kai was a big influence on me back in his vital info days.