1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kala Solid Body U-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FleadomFighter, Jul 3, 2012.

1. FleadomFighter

FleadomFighter

May 27, 2012
    Just saw an ad for this on TB, never heard of it before so took a look at their video. What do you guys think, personally I think it sounds like it has about as much tone as a rubber band but perhaps someone can prove me wrong with their experience of it!

2. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    They sound incredible, period. Don't be fooled by the rubber strings. Kala knows what they're doing. I have the USA made 5-string and it had punch and plenty of bottom. The cheaper 4 strings are equally good. You have to hear them in person -- don't go by Internet sound clips. You will have to adjust your right hand technique and probably tweak EQ, but overall they are usable in just about any style of music.

3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Tried a fretted MIA 4 string Kala solidbody yesterday. I've gigged Guild and DeArmond Ashborys (which is what I was looking to replace) and I've got to say I think the Ashbory cops an upright-esque tone much better. However it was nice to have the frets of the Kala.

4. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    They sound good in the clips I've heard. What's the reason they don't make any instruments in a longer scale? I personally wouldn't enjoy playing something with that short a scale length.

5. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    Yeah I don't like the body shape - too modern and pointy. Makes it look like a toy. I ended up buying the acoustic version. Sounds amazing!