Kala U-Bass Journeyman and Aquila Thunderguts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by el murdoque, Sep 7, 2020.

1. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Hi TB,
    I recently acquired a Kala Journeyman U-Bass. It came with the Kala Roundwounds.
    I also got a set of Aquila strings, the Thunderblack ones.
    When I tried to install those rubber noodles, I learned that the holes in the body are not wide enough to fit them. I've seen people play that Journeyman U-Bass with the rubber strings and the Aquila website only lists one gauge for the black and white strings. The red ones are a bit thinner, but the red E string is as thick as the black A string and the black A string also won't fit into the hole of the E string.
    Has anyone here encountered the same problem? Is there an easy fix? Maybe drill the holes larger? Maybe filing them?

2. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

Yes, I've dealt with the exact issue. I drilled the holes little larger, works just fine. I did that for Road Toad Pahoehoe strings, which are even thicker than the Aquila. I much prefer the Pahoehoe because they're much smoother than the Aquila.

el murdoque likes this.
  3. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Ah, okay! Thanks for your reply.
    How did you tackle this? In my house, I can find a set of good wood drill bits and a handheld drill.
    Half an hour's drive would get me access to a pillar drill machine.

4. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I used a hand drill and drill bit.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021