1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Kala U-Bass SUB High Action

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rover17, Apr 25, 2018.

1. rover17

rover17

Apr 25, 2018
    I have a Kala 4-string U-Bass SUB fitted with Pyramid Metal U-Bass Strings. I find that even with the bridge at it’s lowest and the neck adjusted correctly the action is too high as I go up the neck. I want to add a shim at the butt end of the neck to tilt it back slightly and thus lower the action.

There are four screws bolting the neck to the body but there is also a smaller screw on the back. This may be something associated with the truss rod but I have never seen a screw like this on any guitar or bass I have owned.

My question is… What does this small screw do and would there be any problem removing the neck because of this screw? U-Bass SUB.
    I have emailed Kala but they have not replied.
    Thanks for any help given.

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    It's in the right position for a micro-tilt adjustment for the neck which would obviate the need for a shim to accomplish what you want to do. I've seen them in some original Danelectros and some Fender models starting in the '70s.

You might want to check out this Seymour Duncan article:

Adjusting Your Action: Shimming and Micro Tilt

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Zoobiedood likes this.
  3. rover17

rover17

Apr 25, 2018
    I've been playing guitar/bass since 1965 and never seen the micro tilt feature.
    Or maybe just never needed it...
    Thanks for the info

4. You might still unbolt the neck. If there is a set screw in that small hole and some type of a metal plate in the heel of the neck for the screw to press against then, yes, microtilt and you don’t need a shim. Just run the set screw up into the neck pocket a little (typically you shouldn’t need more then a thread or two showing) and check the results. You can always adjust it more.

If we’re sure it’s an adjustment, no need to remove the neck. Just loosen the strings, loosen the neck mounting screws and adjust, then tighten everything back up.

5. rover17

rover17

Apr 25, 2018
    Thanks!

6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    It was on 3 bolt Fenders. Basically all the ones made in the 70's to the early 80's.

7. rover17

rover17

Apr 25, 2018
    It turned out that it was a micro-tilt arrangement. I have now adjusted the neck and it plays much better.
    Thanks to all who replied.

8. Cool. Glad it worked out and good to know Kala’s have those.

9. rover17

rover17

Apr 25, 2018
    Just to finalise this post.
    I have now had an email from Kala to confirm the mico-tilt feature on this bass.