Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kalamazoo by Primus

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Alright, I use to be terrified of this song when I first heard it. I thought it was impossible to play, now I'm starting to figure out Primus stuff by ear. I know he plays his 6 string on that song, but I am sans 6 string... I am but a man with 4 strings.

So is this possible to play on a 4 string? How far do I have to downtune? Anyone know?

2. There is low B in the song.

So yes you would need a low B and a very quick left hand to play this song.

(note this belongs in misc, or something else.)

[edit: Watch Videoplasty, it will help the learning process]

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, you don't really need it, The main groove only goes down to a low G(from what I remember, It's been a long time since played it)

Either way, the B string just adds convenience, because otherwise you are flying up and down the neck because the main lick is in 12th position.

Additionally, I'm sure he probably plays some low B stuff, but it's most likely just filler(as I said it's been a long time since I heard the song and I don't have it with me) that can be substituted or cut out.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Kaz, I don't know if you noticed, but this is posted in Misc... :p And I own videoplasty, and I need to get that back from my friend who's had it for like... well about a year now.

WR: Yeah, I noticed a lot of the time Claypool uses the B string more for easier access to low notes higher on the neck and for filler.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    and in that respect, you don't need it to play This song.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Pardon the horrible noise (and that fuzziness on the track :smug: ) but I want to know if I'm doing this right.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    You weren't kiddin' Kaz, it does require a fast left hand. Out of curiosity I downtuned to B and the song became a whole lot easier. That lazy Claypool bastard. ;)

P.S. I didn't play it very clean, and there is slight timing issues. I just want to know if I'm playing the riff right in general.

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Sounds fine to me, now just toss on some grime to your tone be a little bit more aggressive and you're all set.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, I sound very unclaypoolian. :)