1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Kalher Trem Stingray

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ImNotGeddyLee, Dec 6, 2001.

1. would it be a good idea to throw a kahler trem on a stingray bass or would it just ruin the already beautiful instrument? I'm really thinking about getting one of these when i get my stingray after christmas but was wondering whether I should risk destroying my dream bass.

(sorry if this doesn't belong here)

2. i do want one... i just want to know if it will ruin the tone in anyway from the stingray.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I would definitely not get one, then. Since you are routing out a pretty good hunk of wood, and changing the bridge to a tremolo with springs, etc, you are probably going to change the sound quite a bit. If anything, try and find a used MIM Jazz, or something to put it on.

I've got one on a POS Yamaha that I got for $150. They don't stay in tune very well, but they are fun. I certainly wouldn't route out any of my favorite basses for one, but I have thought about building a piccolo from Warmoth parts to use it with.

4. You could always buy an OLP as a starting point.

5. I would go with not.
    As in do not.

If you want/need a trem buy another bass, a cheap bass and do it.

I have one on a Aria Pro II. The bass came stock with it, the bass stays in tune for about 4 yanks.

Bass player not in tune is a bad thing, Stingray cut up could be worse.

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm going to do my best and not make a comment on gruffpuppy's announcement that "it only lasts four yanks." :D :eek: ;)

But, yeah, it's fun to dive bomb with a kahler to get wacky every once in a while, but you best hope it's at the end of the song....