Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kaloo-kalay, I might have a gig! Now I need a setlist...(mellow, low key jazz)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Aaron Saunders, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Jazz gigs are pretty dry (think the Gobi Desert) for the younger crowd around here, but I got a call from my music teacher and I may have landed one doing background music for a fundraiser here in town.

The setlist would be really mellow, low-key kind of stuff. So far, I'm thinking:

-Autumn Leaves
    -Bridges of Sand
    -Nature Boy (melody played on upright = gorgeous sound!)

It's an hour and a half, and I assume there'll be some sort of break, so what do you guys think should be added? It'll be low volume electric guitar/double bass (possibly amped) and small drum kit (probably with brushes.)

EDIT: I think it might be worth preparing a couple dancier things (Besame Mucho?) in case people start actually paying attention to the music and want to get up and dance.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Well, it IS a fund raiser, so how about "We're in the Money"?

Some of my faves:

East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    When You're Smiling
    You Do Something to Me
    Just in Time
    You'd Be SO Nice to Come Home to
    On the Street Where You Live
    Smile
    Getting Sentimental Over You
    The Best Thing for You
    You're Nobody Til Somebody Loves You
    This Can't Be Love
    Peace
    I Fall in Love Too Easily

3. We always end up playing a few bossas:

Girl from Ipanema
    Triste
    My Little Boat
    Desifinado
    Like a Lover
    Wave
    Estate

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    What do you like to play?

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    To be honest, I think it's less of that and more of what can we play. The drummer's unbe-freakin'-lievable, but I'm not terribly experienced with walking ("more" rhythmic playing is easier to me, IMO) through changes (in all seriousness, even though I love jazz to death and work at it and AM going to make a living out of it, I've spent too much of the time I've spent playing DB on classical) and the guitarist...nay. I might be able to fake my way through tunes, but as much as I love the guitarist and as great as his original playing is (I love his tunes, but he doesn't have MUCH in the way of jazz/things that don't need a singer,) his sight-reading and overall guitar chops are...less than what they could be if he practiced more. More "The Song is You" and less "Bright Size Life" or "Ornithology" if you know what I mean.

That said, I'm happy with any and all kinds of jazz. Bop, ballads, jazz-waltzes (actually, maybe not so much -- walking in 3/4 is total balls for me right now,) avant-garde, dixieland, big band, etc.

So far, I've got (been looking through my real book index):

Autumn Leaves
    Nature Boy
    Bridges of Sand (mellowest, nicest song ever -- having an alto play the melody in front of a very low-key big band makes my heart melt)
    The Shadow of Your Smile
    Girl from Ipanema
    If I Were A Bell (maaaaaybe, if we can pull this off in a more "standard"ish like )
    So What? (maybe, if I can get this in tune)
    All Blues
    Stella By Starlight (maybe)
    Embraceable You

I'm gonna bust out a couple of recordings and give some of those a listen-to and a looksee -- it's kind of necessary these be available in fake/real book form, the show is next Wednesday! Not much time to transcribe with those inexperienced with it.

PS: I actually will be spending almost every waking moment for the rest of the summer that isn't spent at work or exercising (which is only 2 hours a night anyway) working on my jazz chops and transcribing. My New Years resolution this year was to get a paying jazz gig, and I mean to keep that.

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Fantastic...you go, boy.

It seems as though you might be limited in this case by your lowest common denominator, the guitarist. So, the best thing might be to just ask him "whattya got?" and play his set list for this gig. There's nothing wrong with "The Song Is You" (I love to play that song!) and tunes of that ilk. It has more to do with what you do with the tunes, and your guitarist will probably be at his best if he's within his comfort zone, especially since the gig's coming up in a few days. An hour and a half with a break should be duck soup; no problem.

Afterwards, you can find yourself some musical cohorts with a deeper bag of tunes and more experience. It's surprising how fast you learn when you're getting regular ass-kickings.

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Ooooo, I gave "East of the Sun" a listen today (it's always been one of my favourite tunes from the Diana Krall: Live in Paris DVD) and it's definitely going in. Now, if only I could rip an arco solo like that when we play it...*sigh*

8. That's a great Clayton solo.

And say what you will about Diana Krall, but she played her ASS off on that tune, too.

Good luck on your gig, man. Sounds like you have the right attitude. Oh, and one more thing....

YOU'RE TOO DARN LOUD!!!

Just getting you prepared for the inevitable. ;)

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Awesome, we've got ourselves a singer (the same one in my "finally got a DB" topic over in Basses.)

We should be pretty okay, the setlist, as it is now, is:

Autumn Leaves
    Bridges of Sand
    Nature Boy
    The Shadow of Your Smile
    Girl from Ipanema
    If I Were A Bell
    So What?
    Stella By Starlight
    Embraceable You
    East of the Sun (and West of the Moon)

Plus a few of the tunes he wrote with the singer, and one we played ages ago while we were still in a band ('round January was when we split) that used to be my favourite song to play with them.

I'm thinking 3 or 4 choruses per tune -- guitar solos in most of the tunes, a bass solo here and there (Nature Boy definitely -- I love this tune!) and drum solos whenever it's tasteful (which, I hope, is as much as possible.)

I've been considering hooking up with the same drummer, and a Kingston alto player and a Kingston guitarist, too...might be interesting ;). I think I'm going to get together a few times this summer with my electric teacher for lessons (he's usually touring during the summer so it's been routine to NOT have lessons) and I'm trying to hook up with an old guitar teacher of mine from last summer.

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Woo! We had a rehearsal today from about 1-8, practiced a bunch, practiced a few, and now the setlist is:

Autumn Leaves
    Bridges of Sand
    Nature Boy
    The Shadow of Your Smile (bossa version -- think the Wes Montgomery version, with vocals and a 16 bar guitar solo on the second chorus)
    East of the Sun
    Girl from Ipanema (we had this really swinging and grooving, this and East of the Sun will probably be our highlights)
    3 unnamed originals the guitarist and vocalist wrote together. I'm playing the verses to one of them arco, and it sounds so nice! :)
    *Maybe* Embraceable You -- we didn't get to this today, but we're rehearsing sans the drummer tomorrow.

The reason for the very long rehearsal -- the vocalist had only ever even heard 2 of the songs, didn't know any of the others at all, the guitarist was reading completely cold, and the drummer didn't get off work until 4. We broke for dinner and to watch a couple Jeff Hamilton and John Clayton solos on the Live in Paris DVD. Plus, we want to be as prepared as we can possibly be. I'm very pleased with the work we did today, and I'm going to work tonight on my walking lines and my solo for East of the Sun, after I take a little break -- I only got home ten minutes ago!

11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    The sound of your attitude is very encouraging! Keep it up.

12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    +1...It's clear that you're having fun with it.

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I am indeed!

We had another 2 hour practice today. We also added Moondance, since we all "know" it -- I've listened to it about a thousand times, and the other three were all in the school jazz band when we played it, so the guitarist gave me the changes and I'm good now -- practicing that tonight. The guitarist and I are both practicing "Embraceable You" a lot tonight -- I hadn't expected changes quite that...interesting. By interesting, I mean ridiculous.

Ex:
    |Am |Am7(b5) D7 |G6add9 Dsus |G6add9 (F#m7 B7(b9))|
    |Em Em7/D|C#m7(b5) F#7|Bm Bm(maj7)|Bm7 E9 |

Not bad for some of you, I'm sure -- they're no Rhythm Changes, but...*shudder* Sightreading that just about made my head implode.

It doesn't help that we decided to do it as an uptempo swing! It sounds great in my head, but I'll be shedding that most of the night...we won't have a chance to get together with the drummer tomorrow before the gig, but I told him the plan and we're gonna play one chorus without him and he's just going to pick it up (actually, he could probably just join in no problem, but we're playing it safe here.) Definitely excited to hear it when we're together again tomorrow! We're rehearsing (sans drummer) tomorrow again at 11, then food, then rehearsing, and then a break before the show.

14. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    In G? I don't like those changes too much -- really 'beboppy' to my ears. I'd rather play something like:

A- | D7sus b9 (F7 is cool here, too)| G | F#-7b5 B7b9
    E- | C#-7b5 F#7 | B- |(E7, if you must, and some insist on E-7 A7 here)
    D D#o | E-7 A7 |A-7 | D7

15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    They are indeed in G. I got the sheet off of the Rufus Reid - Evolving Bassist DVD, so I guess it shouldn't be a surprise they'd have boppier changes.

That said, I think we're gonna stick with the changes we have, but I'd definitely like to explore something like that in the future. We were talking and the three of us (haven't asked the drummer yet) would definitely like to continue this. We've had the most productive practices ever in the last two days, and the three of us were in a five piece rock/funk/jam band for 6 MONTHS and never got this much done.

EDIT: I'm also extra-excited for Nature Boy. We're doing it rubato, so the singer will be leading us. I'll be playing it arco -- just the roots, as smoothly as I can -- I can't wait until I get my French bow back with white hair, the black hair German is just killin' me right now in terms of tone and minimum volume. We're doing one chorus this way, and for the second chorus, I'll be playing the melody solo (pizz) right up until the last line -- I drop off right before the "The greatest thing you'll ever learn/is just to love, and be loved in return." The singer does this solo and on the last note, I come back in with the bow on an open D and the guitarist hits a particularly nicely voiced Dm7.

Can you tell I'm excited? :)

2nd EDIT: I printed off sheets for Honeysuckle Rose and Fly Me To The Moon to bring to tomorrow's practice. We'll probably do Fly Me To The Moon, but Honeysuckle Rose might be a bit much given the short notice.

16. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    It's going to take a few days or a week to break in the new hair on the bow, so don't be surprised.

17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    It'll take even longer for me to actually play French properly :p:cool:.

18. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Home from the gig -- it ended at 8, and I didn't get home until 20 minutes ago! We made a pit stop that I'll mention later and I was just relaxing at the guitarist's house/practice space.

We practiced a bunch this morning from about 12-3:30, polished stuff off and learned "Fly Me To The Moon," which was incredibly easy because the changes were so similar to Autumn Leaves. A friend of ours drove out with a van and we filled it with ourselves and our gear (upright, Yorkville XS400 15" combo amp, slab bass, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, 2 guitar amps [one for vocals,] backpacks, etc.) Got there, setup, and started playing.
    Throughout the course of the evening, which we played from about 5:10 until about 7, we only had one thing go wrong. The cable that was sent from the drummer's dad for the mic was an XLR-XLR -- not an XLR-1/4", like we needed. The blame falls on us though, for not specifying to the drummer...*sigh* Oh well. Luckily our singer is also experienced in musical theatre and projects very well. The tunes went well -- we ended up doing almost everything twice though! :embarassed: I can definitely see the truth in the phrase "learning on the bandstand," now. We started off doing things with 3 choruses each -- vocals, solo 2nd chorus, vocals. The last thing we played, Fly Me To The Moon, was 6 or 7, with the guitarist and I alternating solos, and Autumn Leaves had grown to a 4 or 5 chorus tune by the end too. The bossas were very fun to play (The Shadow of Your Smile and Girl From Ipanema) and the fillibuster swinging one, East of the Sun (thanks for the suggestions, by the by!) went over very well.
    Also, I got pretty good at recognizing ii-V's and ii-V-I's in different keys at sight throughout the course of the gig. I was analyzing East of the Sun last night (uptempo + sight reading complex changes + soloing = a very scared bassplayer) and noticed a bunch of them, and caught a whole bunch on the charts today during practice and on the gig. Pretty neat! All in all, it went really, really well.

During a short break for drinks before we did our last mini-set for the night, the guy who gave us the gig is offering us another for next Saturday. We're going to contact an alto player from another local high school -- I've seen him play and he's great, and our drummer play(s/ed, it's on indefinite hiatus) in a band with him. We'll be adding Honeysuckle Rose, and if we get the alto player, hopefully Straight, No Chaser and (if I can get the bassline in time, in tune, and at a decent tempo) A Night In Tunisia.

Also, the place where we stopped off -- it was the musical director for a small produciton the guitarist, singer, and our friend/driver were in. He's an incredibly nice guy and we talked to him for a while (probably 45 minutes or an hour) and he offered me a chance to play in a band backing singers for a Revue they're doing in the fall. It's no Motor Town, but it's another opportunity to play (this time backing the bane of all jazz musicians -- people singing...show tunes.)

PS: The place was gorgeous. It was a big house in a great wooded off area and the balcony we were on encircled the entire house. We were out of the sun and facing the majority of the property (the sound carried REALLY well, too) but we were just around the corner from the most beautiful view ever. The house is on the river, and the sun was just setting -- absolutely stunning.

EDIT: I only used the slab on one tune where I was playing a harmonizing horn part that would have been literally physically impossible to play on upright for me.

19. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    It sounds like you had fun.

Motor Town? Wassat?

20. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    The Motor Town Revue -- back in the sixties, the singers for Motown did a massive tour singing their hits, backed by the original studio musicians.