Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

KANSAS CITY

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by clarkbrown, Jul 9, 2002.

1. clarkbrown

clarkbrown

Jul 8, 2002
    kansas
    help, im a kc boy in need of an awesome teacher. Any body. Only guy i can think of is Terry Clark and i have no idea how to get a hold of him. HELP

2. Clark:

Even though you're on the wrong side of the state line, I'll help, if I can (!!!)

Give Big Dude's Music a call and ask to be put in touch with Jim Rood. Last I knew, Jim lived in Lawrence but teaches in KC. He knows bass, rock and jazz, studied at Miami University (where Jaco went), and likes Steely Dan. I had to quit on him as I just don't have time, now that I have 2 young kids, to practice enough, but he's good.

You also might pick up a Jazz Ambassadors magazine (free at music stores and restaurants, Westport area) and look in the back for Bass Players and give Bob Bowman a call. He plays with Karrin Allison, and sometimes takes on new students. I'd also try to locate the bass player for Boko Maru (also in the Ambassador), check him out at bokomaru.com. his last name is Albright and there's a bio of him on the webpage as well as his email address. This guy is tops!

My advice would be to talk to at least 2 of these guys first before taking any of them on. Bob Bowman kinda seems like an egomaniac, I've talked to him before. I'd really like to hear if you talk to the Boko Maru guy (Albright). Jim Rood is really the only guy I actually know.

Good luck and let me know what you find out....

Mark

3. clarkbrown

clarkbrown

Jul 8, 2002
    kansas
    james albright is his name. i took one lesson from him. he teaches at a studio in stanley. no offense to him but i didnt like his style that much. So i hear he is more of an upright jazzer. yet, i am much more knowledgeable of both basses and music in general know. Ideally i would like some body who is mainly a jazzer but electric. I want somebody who can shread on electric. I knew this dude name lester estelle. Hes amazing. He knew all the wooten thumb stuff as well as amazing musican all around. Too bad he was a drummer and just made an audition for Pillar on drums. (mind you he was black, which pretty much explains everything, which i am not)

4. well, ok. You might try Jim Rood or Forest Stewart, the bassist for Ida McBeth most of the time. He plays jazz with a Fender fretless.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    :confused: What does that explain?

6. I dunno either. What is this, 1918 in rural Alabama?

Really, we in Kansas City aren't quite that backward, honest ! :D

He can play all the Wooten thumb stuff, but he's a drummer, not a bassist?!! What the ....?

7. clarkbrown

clarkbrown

Jul 8, 2002
    kansas
    i was just saying how lester was the only form of teacher i had but he got tooken away. and yes. he can play all the wooten thumb stuff but he is better at drums.

8. I think what JMX was asking is what being black has to do with anything, and I'd have to ask the same.

I've offered the answers to your initial query that I can, you can take them or leave them. I think the only way to get ahold of Forrest Stewart is to go see him play with Ida McBeth. She's playing at the Blue Room in the next coupla days.

9. EEbass04

EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    Well, the Pillar I know is a Christian rapcore band. So maybe thats what he's referencing too. I live in Lee's Summit. I'm also looking for someone to take lessons from...if someone will pay for them like they did when I took trumpet lessons...hmmm

10. Chris Handley...Signature Sound at about 96th(7th?) and Metcalf in Overland Park.

He's damn good.