Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kansas Teen Dies Playing 'Passing Out Game'

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Aug 17, 2005.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
  2. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    Back when I was a huge druggie we used to do that when we couldn't find anything else to alter our state. Which was usually when we couldn't go steal Air Duster or Ether-containing petroleum substances from Wal-Mart.

3. Horrible? Just sounds like one less idiot on the planet...

I feel bad for the parents, but I'm sorry; it's suicide.

dubya tee eff, m8. :/

4. It's not a game or new "Fad" sweeping the youth...

It's a "time-tested" way of altering your state. It's always been stupid. There has always been stupid people. When you mix the two somethings bound to happen.

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Well, at least they don't have to raise an idiot anymore.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yes, that's always a positive when losing your son or daughter.

:rolleyes:

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Until today, I had never heard of it. As a youth, I remember doing the thing where you bend over and then stand up super fast. That was suppsed to knock you out. Somehow I think I am missing a step in that process, I can't remember exactly.

-Mike

8. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    that's just sick. :(

i've seen some pretty sick and stupid things but that tops them. :rolleyes:

9. Frankly, while I probably come across as very apathetic, if this really is a "game" out there, I think parents should make examples of these kids. It's clearly not just a game if two kids in Idaho die from it in a few months. What possesses kids and teenagers to try doing this, I don't know. I'm only 20 and, while it's probably a product of my upbringing, I can assure you that the thought of hanging myself for a finite period of time to get myself high has never crossed my mind. It's one thing to be stupid enough to try depriving your brain of oxygen, it's another level of stupid to try it by hanging yourself.

The issue of "is this a game or is this just suicide" really makes me wonder if parents are simply in denial that their kid, in fact, really did hang himself to end his or her life. Is this becoming a convenient excuse for parents who are too detached from their children, at whatever age they are, to realize when their kids are depressed and considering ending their lives? When I was younger, I had friends who would try hyperventilating then pressing their hands to their neck until they passed out, but no one said, "Hey guys, we should try hanging from a tree with a noose around our neck! That'll do it!"

I have sympathy for the parents. They must be feeling an incredible sense of loss. I have no sympathy, however, for the kids and teens who try these things and end up dead, with permanent damage, or lose a friend to the same actions. You always reap the consequences of your actions. If you're stupid and do life-endangering things, devastating results may ensue.

10. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm pretty sure you are. Lots of kids at my school used to do that, but not anymore.

THey probably have dain bramage now, though.

11. http://www.snopes.com/toxins/dustoff.asp ****!!! One of the dumber things to do.

12. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    Yep. I took a minute-long huff of the Ether-rag, then inhaled like half a can of duster, and everything slowed down, I couldn't move, and I could feel myself actually die for what felt like an hour, but was probably closer to like 30 seconds. What brought me back was when I started to drool all over myself. Never touched inhalants again.

13. apply pressure at teh jugulars.

I would assume these kids were getting someone else to block off the flow of blood. Some people do it this way. If you block the blood off yourself, then you won't be able to do so as soon as you are unconcious, and therefore you will only be out briefly.

I once saw a buddy of mine doing this (the two person way) and he stayed out for half a minute or so, and it scared the hell out of me.

apparently some people like to pass themselves out while under the influence of mdma......freakin' stupid if you ask me.....

14. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    Is that something like somebody squeezing the sides of your neck (blocking your arteries) for a while and then you pass out?

Did that once, weird experience. My friends caught me as I dropped like a brick. Woke up 5 or 10 seconds later, didn't know where the hell I was. I saw 5 faces hovering above me going 'You OK, buddy?'

Weird, very weird....but also slightly exciting.

15. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    The parents knew about it for a year or two, according to the article. They should be to blame just as much as the stupid 'game.'

16. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    i know but in the suburbs of kansas thjat's all you got beleive me i used to live there two of my freinds died doing that

17. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    What the hell are these kids thinking? Trying to get high using a former form of execution...yea that's smart.

It's things like these that honestly scare the hell out of me from having kids, and make me worry about my nephews. I know that I would do the best I could to raise my kids, and my sister is doing the best she can to raise my nephew's. Some parents aren't doing the best they could and some are. But somewhere along the line there has to be something else that is going beyond the upbringing by well intentioned parents, and is beyond their control. Outside influences mixed with the lack of common sense and irrationality that teenagers can possess anyway.

18. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    That's exactly why it's happening. It's summer and they have nothing to do. Waking up in the ICU after a drug overdose isn't cool :(

19. At least they can comfort themselves by remembering that the sacrifice resulted in a cleaner gene pool for us all.

As for the parents being to blame, think you focused on this:
    and missed this:
    Of course you can argue they SHOULD have known, but that's always easier to do in hindsight. But it sounds like they've pieced this together after her death talking with her friends, not that they've known or suspected for a year or two which the one quote seems to imply without reading the other.

Randy

20. I don't mean to sound like a jerk... but, it's survival of the fittest... :rollno: