1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Kaplan Solos Question

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by CSBBass, Nov 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. CSBBass

CSBBass

Sep 21, 2013
    Hey all--as of yet I've only been able to find one thorough review of the Kaplan Solo strings on here or anywhere. While many people seem to love the orchestra tuning Kaplans, the description tends to be that they're quite dark. If any of you have used the solos, do you think they're on the darker side as well or are they brighter? My bass isn't super dark, but it's not particularly bright either and I'm just looking for something that'll work well for solo strings without having to experiment a ton since I can only really afford to go for one set for now which will take me through the performances I'm doing.

I currently have orchestra tuning Flexocore Deluxes on the bass and I really enjoy the sound I'm getting with those. If you have any recommendations aside from the Kaplans, I'd be happy to hear them!

2. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    The best option I would think would be to get Flexocore Deluxe solo strings. In theory, they'd sound the same as your strings now but a whole step up.

3. CSBBass

CSBBass

Sep 21, 2013
    You're probably right, and I've been considering that. I just figured I'd reach out to those more knowledgeable than I am where strings are concerned and weigh the various options before I bite the bullet of the fairly significant cost difference on the Flexocores compared to Kaplans. If only money grew on trees...

Can anyone vouch for the Flex Deluxe Solos sounding similar to the orchestra tuning set?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  4. Kaplan solos are piercingly bright under the bow at solo pitch, so much so that the neck barely resonates.

I’ll be putting a clean set of Perm Solos up in the classifieds soon if cost is an issue. Those are also fairly bright.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021