1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kappa Pro 15 LF 2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by greenbass5, Sep 21, 2010.

1. greenbass5

greenbass5

Sep 16, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    I've got a dead mint kappa pro 15 LF2. I'd like to build a compact cab to put it in. I'm not opposed to goin with a mid driver and crossover. But wasn't really thinking that. Looks like Eminence has a 2.5 cu box to get 600 Watts with round ports. Is it possible to put this driver in a TL606 style cab? If adding a mid is alot better, how much bigger would it make the cab? I play 5 strings, how does that come into the mix? Thanks.

2. dhomer

dhomer Commercial User

Apr 9, 2009
    Hickory Corners, MI
    Owner, Gigmaster Soundworks, Auth. greenboy designs builder, MI
    It will work in a 2.5 cu.ft. cab tuned to 44 Hz. In a 5-string application you really don't want the fundamental (voice of experience here). Use a 35Hz highpass filter to control the cones.. Two 4" ID tubes 11.42" long will tune it, just remember to add the internal volume of these ports to the original design. It will also be important to make the internal depth of the cab (baffle to back) at least 15.5".. Unless you're playing dub reggae, you will definitely require a midrange. This woofer only goes up to 1800 Hz, and anything intelligible on bass is well above that.. I would suggest off the top of my head an Alpha 8, not the closed back one. It will require a small sealed enclosure you would build into the main box. Your total project may wind up being close to 3 cu.ft. or so. Crossover 800 Hz? I'm sure the experts will correct me, but this seems like a doable project..

3. greenbass5

greenbass5

Sep 16, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks Dhomer. I guess I could use a 6" mid if I wanted to save a bit more size? Not sure what the difference would be? Probably dig into the Fearful thread and find info on that. Thanks again.

Just remembered. One of those is closed back right?

4. dhomer

dhomer Commercial User

Apr 9, 2009
    Hickory Corners, MI
    Owner, Gigmaster Soundworks, Auth. greenboy designs builder, MI
    The reason I suggested the Alpha 8 is that the sensitivity is a better match to your woofer than the 6" version. The Alpha 8 comes in two versions, one is a sealed basket. Shop around, there's a few 6" midranges out there.. if you can find one w/95-98dB sensitivity it should be a good choice. A lot of good info on the fEarful thread.

5. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Get a 6nd410 and pad it back. Based on the impedance and the eq curve, I would cross it over around 400hz and pad it back 5-6db or so. That should protect the driver pretty well, and the LF-2 isn't going to take as much a beating as the 3015LF anywa.

Its impedance curve does not match up well enough with a 3015LF that I'd be comfortable just replicating the fEarful 3015LF crossover, and it'd need more padding anyway. Also, its nasty midrange peak is much earlier, which makes me want to cross it over lower.

Be absolutely sure to use an 18db slope to the midrange, if not 3rd order both ways. If you do 3rd order both ways you'll want to reverse the phase, as I recall.

While it's probably not the best idea, if you were going to use an off-the-shelf, this one would probably work very well with a horn:
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=294-326

The eminence 500hz 2-way might work okay as well, but you'd need to add some fixed padding to that one IIRC.

Good luck!

6. greenbass5

greenbass5

Sep 16, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks guys. this is looking like more than I wanted to spend. I may just order a couple of 8 ohm LDS single 15 cabs with the 3015. Like the one Ken posted the sound clips of.

7. greenbass5

greenbass5

Sep 16, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    RP, are you saying that the 6nd410 should be mounted with a horn and not direct radiator? Having never built a horn loaded cab, I'm assuming that I still need to put it in it's own enclosure in the cab. Also, does this Peavey crossover provide the padding I'd need for both drivers? Just trying to learn a little here. Thanks.

8. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    No, I am not. I'm saying if you use a 3-way xover like the ECS-3x you would need a horn to cover the top end because it's got a 2500hz low pass on the midrange section or so.

9. greenbass5

greenbass5

Sep 16, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Ok. got it. Thanks!

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021