1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

kappalite 3015 + ports tuning question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by margus_, Apr 8, 2009.

1. margus_

margus_

May 19, 2008
    I´m a bit confused by tuning the ports. My cab net volume (vb) is about 2.92 cu.ft (82.7 l), I have the kappalite 3015 speaker and two 4.331 in (110 mm) diameter ports. I´m useng winISD beta and bass box pro 6 as well. If I have port lenght 4.935 in (125 mm), then bass box pro says that my tuning frequency (fb) is 54 Hz, winISD says 57.5 Hz. Which should I trust? Anyway which tuning is the best if I`m after punchy ampegish (but clearer, less boomy) rock bass tone?

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Neither one. Ideally, you need to measure the actual tuning yourself, using your own cab and drivers.

3. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    what method do you suggest to do that ?
    thx

4. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    A spectrum analyzer?:ninja:

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Trial and error. Only you know what you want the cab to sound like. FWIW tuning to anything above 50 Hz will likely result in a boomy tone. IME tuning to higher than 45Hz you might as well be running tens.
    Not totally useless, but almost. The most important chart is maximum SPL, the next is maximum power, and WinISD Beta doesn't have those. WinISD Alpha Pro does.

6. margus_

margus_

May 19, 2008
    I have been following instructions by Greenboy from another thread:
    For 3015 it indeed sits well in 3.0 cf net, with tunings between 52 and 60 Hz (the higher tunings for midbass hump are probably best if you really want to bring out the old school vibe, the lower if you want a little tighter sound). It can do without a dedicated midrange and crossover but it really earns the Enhanced moniker when one is used.

7. margus_

margus_

May 19, 2008
    any more thoughts?

8. margus_

margus_

May 19, 2008
    somebody?

9. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    Reviving this thread, I'm in the planning stages of a 3015 cab build. Margus, what tuning/port size did you end up with on this cab? Did you experiment much with port length? Have you compared it to other cabs? Are you satisfied with the results?

I've current got a Trace 1153 cab and (for the time being) a larger Sonic 115 cab, each loaded with 3015 drivers. Overall I like the sound of the 1153 though it could use a bit more bass. The larger Sonic cab is tubby in comparison with far less punch, really interesting to hear how radically the cab size/tuning effects the response.

10. dont forget to deduct port volume from cab volume. higher tuning will slightly increase cab volume.