1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Kappalite 3015

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by God's Element, Apr 11, 2006.

1. God's Element

God's Element

Sep 27, 2005
    Has anyone heard the Kappalite 3015 yet? The 5.9 Xmax sounds fun with highs up to 4k :)

2. The 3015 looks real nice on paper.
    Conservative highs to around 2,500 Hz.

2.75 cubic feet tuned at 45 Hz.
    F3 around 65 Hz.

The 3015LF is a tad less sensitive, uses a bigger box, and gets down a bit lower. The high end is all done above 1,000 Hz. It has a lot more Xmax than the 3015 above.

4.6 cubic feet tuned at 43 Hz
    F3 around 45 Hz.

3. Add to this that the 3015LF has an XMAX of 9.0mm which equates to a lot of cone travel available.

4. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    If I ever get to building my omni 15 you better believe it will have a kapplite 3015LF in it.

5. The best driver for the Omni 15 is what is recommended in the plans.

I've not yet seen the Omni 15 plans, so do not know which driver is preferred. Bill is on top of the latest Eminence drivers, and keeps the plans updated accordingly.

The 3015LF is killer for a Tuba 36. Ideal specs and light weight.

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Yep. The 3015LF is a good driver if you want cheap lightwieght efficiency with decent extension in a fairly large ported box, but it probably isn't ideal for the horn loading in that design.

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I recommend it in both the O15 and T36.

8. God's Element

God's Element

Sep 27, 2005
    ok its been a few days...has anyone had first hand expiriance with this speaker yet?

9. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan

correct me if im wrong, but xmax has nothing to do with a horn, although it helps. You basicaly want an efficient speaker ( a spec not published regularly) along with a low vas. true?

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Sorry, that post was a brain fart; I was mentally thinking 3015LF specs on one hand while juggling some others at the same time.

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You are wrong. First read Olson's Acoustical Engineering,
    http://www.audioxpress.com/bksprods/books/bkpa1.htm

Then download McBean's HornResp program and experiment with it for a month or so, and then spend the next ten years or so building a few dozen horns. At that point you'll begin to understand what they're all about. I built my first horn in 1968, and I still learn something with every new one.

12. God's Element

God's Element

Sep 27, 2005
    hello...i'm back,
    ok i just order a kappalite 3015 (non LF)

i should get it next week. I'll be sure to comment.

13. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I did exactly that, and I am pretty much where I started. Figuring out Thiele-Small was comparatively easy. :crying:

14. God's Element

God's Element

Sep 27, 2005
    anyone hear the kappalite 3015 yet? Mine should be here this wensday. I can't wait......

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Looks like you're the TB guinea pig GE. We look forward to your review, good points and bad.

16. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    yes keep us posted. If it sounds great, i got a box that i might throw that thing in myself.

17. God's Element

God's Element

Sep 27, 2005
    I just installed the kappalite 3015 in my cab (leslie 122). I had an EVM15B pro-line in there and thats what i will use to compare. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :p :D Thats how good it sounds. I was expecting the evm to have more mids and i was very shocked at how simular the 3015 sounds in the mid section. The lower notes i play, the better sounding the 3015 is. the 5.9 xmax is really sounding great. The Evm is not going back in the cab.

Pros: Great bottom end. Awsome mids. Lite. Sound is clear and loud.

Cons: Not as clear as the Evm 15b at high volumes but i think i have to break it in more before i can crank it up.

18. spentmusic

spentmusic Commercial User

May 6, 2008
    Beverly, MA
    Co-Owner DST Engineering
    Hi guys,

This is my first post after lurking around for a bit. I have used the 3015 in 1x15 and 2 x 15 cabinets since the speaker came out. Play a HiWatt DR201 with a 74 rick 4001 and a 6 string Ibanez Prestige. After being a devote EVM15B user since the 70's, I feel this will be my speaker for remainder of time. No need for a horn on the highs and produces a very strong 32 hz sound wave through our own designed cabinets. The trade off in weight from 25 + pounds to 9 is just another bonus.

Great information on this site!!!
    Thanks,

Jeff Swanson
    www.swansoncabinets.com

Attached Files: