1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Kappalite 3015s, Looking for a Suitable 215 Box

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Count Bassie, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Just curious as to who's had experience loading these Eminence drivers into older 215 cabs? Or 1x15s... I need to build something, but can't get to it at this point. They're in TL-606s now, and I find them a tad bulky and heavy-ish. In and out of the house is a little awkward, and winter ice is not cool at 3 am. I had almost sold these recently, looking for a lighter, powerful cab, but reconsidered (and after some friendly rebuke helped that along) as I like the thing these drivers do.

A 2x15 is ok because the center of gravity is higher- I'm 6'1" and a lot of that is legs, so low is not as good as tall.

I had a Fender 215 several years ago that was fairly tall and weighed 75 lbs- that was fine for up and down rough stone steps covered with winter weather...

Thanks for rec's and advice...

2. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    My favorite 2x15 cabs are the narrower Vox T-100 and vintage Fender Showman 2x15 cabs.

Try the T-100 cab (external dims) with 1/2" ply, and minimal bracing, for the best "compromise."

I'd say "let me know how it sounds," but I already know!!

3. If you have the drivers, contact Mike Arnopol about building you a composite Dually for them. Heck any of the greenboy authorized builders should be able to whip you up a 215 that is crazy light with those speakers.

4. Checkout the Barefaced Super Fifteen (215) and Compact (115) and the Fearful Dually 15 (215) and Basic (115) all four cabs are compact, lightweight, one-way cabs loaded with 3015 drivers.

NOTE: Fearful cabs are built by many different builders and therefore they’re not all built equally, but there are many good Fearful builders to chose from and you can most likely find an official list of authorized Fearful builders on the Fearful forum. However, all the Barefaced cabs are built by Barefaced and are consistent.

Compact
    http://barefacedbass.com/index.php?page=compact

Super 15
    http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/super-fifteen.htm

5. barryaudio

barryaudio

Feb 9, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Authorized Builder: fEARful bass, greenboy designs, Bill Fitzmaurice
    I've built a 2x15 with 3015s that comes out to 60lbs or lighter depending on hardware. If you chose some lighter weight wood, like Arauco pine, Okoume, or Italian Poplar you can get a high performance cab with 20% less weight than birch. Sometimes you need additional bracing with lighter weigh woods, but you still will be lighter.

6. I would have zero hesitation to order a cab from anyone on the current Authorized builder list. The only thing "not equal" about any of their builds should be the finish options chosen. All the internal dimensions, driver selections, and cross overs should be the same. Things like materials (different wood or composite), exterior finish options, grill options, and hard ware options may be different but they all add up to a great cab that fits options chosen by the buyer and still fit into greenboy specs.

7. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Now don't go confusing Joe with facts.

8. Laz I love your Avatar...

9. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    ;)

10. It always makes me think of the episode where his licence to kill expires... The driving test is my favorite part.

11. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the OP is asking about already existing 215 cabs, commercially made, like an old Peavey or Kustom 215. Also, I think the 3015 is a pretty forgiving full range 15, so a good, solid commercial 215 cab should be ok. As usual, I could be wrong.

12. I kind of see why you think that, but from what the OP has written his long term goal is to build something for the speakers. I think the best option is to kill two birds with one stone and find something that works now.

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I think around 3.5cu.ft. net or maybe slightly bigger is a sort of good size for those. They'll work in as little as 3. His tl-606's are about 3.2 or so.

For a pair of them, he could do something as simple as draw up a box that's 7.5 or so net inside before loading the ports and drivers and end up with something pretty nice. Enter roughly 7.1-7.2 into the program to get the needed port length. Adjust by ear from there.

Shrinking the box to an even 7 gross would come up with a net of probably 6.6 or so. Model that. If it doesn't lose too much lowend for you, could go with the slightly smaller size.

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Use 1/2" Aruco or something with good crossbracing and the new larger box(es) will be lighter than your pair of smaller ones.

I'd put pieces double thick where the drivers and any wheels/handles mount. The rest just 1/2".

15. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    2k W of the Duwamsh
    From the diversity corner, I'll put in a plug to have a look at the Bill Fitzmaurice Jack 15. A 2x15 or two 1x15s would kick it really hard and be pretty easy to schlep around. They have a bit of a different flavor than the fEarfuls (not as full range), but are still quite balanced IME.

http://billfitzmaurice.info/

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Ya, those things bring the loud. The 15's do end up to be a bit of a large cube. Shlepping around on icy stairs and stuff. The 12's are a bit more manageable size. A pair of those would outrun any 215 in all but the lowest lows.

17. I only pointed out and addressed the fact that the Fearful Dually 15 and Bassic are built by many different builders so they’re not all built equally (nor do they all use the same build material and they don’t all look the same either) so the OP would need to take all this into consideration whereas all the Barefaced cabs are built by Barefaced and are consistent.

I was also wondering about that - but the OP has 3015 loaded TL606s (I’m guessing without an added mid driver or tweeter) so a logical smaller lighter cab would be the Super/Dually 15 if they want a 215 or Compact/Bassic if they want a 115 but it they don’t mind a 115 with a tweeter (some tweeters can be turned off) then there are a bunch of new compact lightweight 115T’s to checkout - GK, GB, etc.

EDIT: OP, can you be a little more clear (old cabs?) and or do you want to build a speaker or just buy one?

18. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I get what you guys are saying, but, he already has the drivers, right ? Are Barefaced/fEARful builders willing to send an unloaded cab ? Don at LDS built me a 215 cab, empty, for some jbl k140'S I already had, but, I don't know if those other builders are willing to do something like that, unless he ships the drivers to them.

19. +1. Very good point and questions.