1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Karate tournament

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by HailCorduroy, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Just wanted to brag about my son for a moment. He's 13 and went to his first karate tournament yesterday. He won 1st place in both forms and sparring for his division. He competed in the grands (1st place winners from every division) and just about won that. Based on the scores I saw, he was 2nd (they only announce 1st for the grands).

2. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    That is awesome. Karate is so much more than fighting and breaking boards.

3. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    Congratulations to your son. I bet your car is well waxed and house freshly painted :)

karate-kid.

4. Congrats!

Now you should ship him over to the UK so he can master his fighting skills:

(not the cleanest of language)

5. meycom

meycom Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Southern Wis.
    That is great, my whole family has been involved in Martial Arts for many, many years.
    I used to fly my oldest son all over the country doing tournaments. We used to go to Nashville and Louisville to compete.

6. Awesome :cool:

Absolutely. So many 'McDojos' concentrate on breaking boards these days. :rollno:

7. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    That is great! Congrats to your son. Martial arts are great for discipline and fitness. I hope he keeps it up.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
  9. Yea, there are plenty of McDojos around here. Luckily, we found a good school. His dojo has a competition team you have to be asked to join and they are the only ones who go to tournaments. There were kids at the tournament that were nowhere near ready to compete and I'm sure it was just schools making some extra money off them.

He hasn't waxed my car yet. Where's Mr. Miagi when you need him?