1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Karl Alvarez (Descendents/ALL) had a heart attack!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by yoss, Aug 28, 2007.

1. yoss

yoss

Oct 1, 2003
    This bums me out hard. He is one of the greatest punk bassists ever and all around amazing bassist in any right. I hope he makes a full recovery. Wow.

http://www.punknews.org/article/25207
    http://www.myspace.com/karlalvarezbenefit

43-year old bassist Karl Alvarez, known for his work with pioneering punk bands Descendents and ALL, suffered a minor heart attack on Saturday August 11. After a three-day hospitalization Alvarez is now at home steadily recovering, but faces mounting medical bills. To help defray the medical costs, his friends have established a MySpace benefit site to take donations and serve as a forum for organizing benefit concerts. At the site, fans can donate directly to Alvarez’s PayPal account, extend well wishes and coordinate shows. A couple of gigs are already in the works in the Fort Collins and Denver area, and will possibly include performances from Karl’s newest band Underminer.

Joining the Descendents in the mid-1980s, Alvarez would also go on to play with the band ALL that developed when the Descendents’ lead singer Milo Aukerman had to take a leave of absence. Recently Alvarez appeared on the self-titled comeback album from The Lemonheads, and plans to tour with them this December. He also toured last year with the gypsy folk outfit Gogol Bordello.

2. Sad, I love ALL and have seen them numerous times. If I can scrape up some dough I send it his way (don't just want to be a fair weather friend!)

3. :(
    Oh, man. This is awful. Karl is just about my favorite player and has been a tremendous influence and inspiration.
    I think a fitting tribute would be to skip my daily Dunkin' Donuts coffee for a few weeks and donate to his fund the money I would have spent.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Anyone who played with Gogol Bordello is OK in my book. Hope he's OK.

5. 'O **** ,that sucks ,but maybe it will spread out and make him recognized for his work,

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    That's terrible. He's definitely one of my favorite bassists of all time.