Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Karl Grimm bass ???

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Scot, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Hey guys,

If you have a second it would be great if you could have a look at this bass:

http://www.lemurmusic.com/aspbass/a...0&instName=Mid201800s203/420Gamba Shaped Bass

I'd like to hear your first impressions. All I know about Karl (Carl?) Grimm is that he was a violin maker in Berlin in the 19th century. Anyone have any info about Karl Grimm or Karl (Carl?) Hellmig? Is there a way to know whether this bass was actually made in Grimm's shop? Any advice or opinions about what to look for in the event I pursue buying this bass?

As always, thanks to all you guys for your help.

-Scot

2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Did you try calling Lemur if they'll give you any deets on the bass?

3. Scot...Maybe PM Ken Smith?

4. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    You're right, Paul - I should PM Ken. I was hoping he might jump in on the thread.

hdiddy - yes, I did speak with a nice fellow at Lemur about the bass. He gave me all the specs on the bass and his opinions about the sound, etc. He was very forthcoming. I didn't think to ask about Grimm and the authenticity of the bass, which I guess kind of shows that I'm more interested in the sound and playablility of the bass than any collectable value. I guess I can't really think of anything else to ask him and that's partially why I'm posting here to see if I can get some ideas about some more things I should ask before making a road trip down there. At first glance the bass looks pretty good to me.

-Scot

5. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    From what I can tell the info on the maker(s) is correct. It does not look as old as they say. Ask if the Bass was ever re-finished. It looks too clean and un-used for a 19th century instrument unless it's been hidden away in a closet for 150 years.

Hellmig took over the business in 1855 when Grimm died and Hellmig died in 1866.

Where do I send my Bill?. lol

6. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Thanks, Ken. You can PM me your bill. :)

The guy at Lemur did say that the bass was stashed away in an attic for some years. I'll ask him about the finish. I think I'm going to try to get more info on the basses history if I can. Thanks again, Ken.

-Scot

7. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Scott, if the Bass sounds as good as it looks, get it. But, get a second opinion from your teacher or another authority that can also see and play it before buying it.

I think the price is very good. If it had a more famous name like Hornsteiner or Morelli, I think the price would be higher despite their younger age.

8. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Thanks again, Ken. I'll let you guys know if I find out anymore and if I decide to take that roadtrip down there. I'll have to bring the bass back up to the Bay area to have my teacher take a look at it and I'll have a luthier either up here or down there take a look at if. You're right though, ken, it sure does look to be in pretty good shape for that age of instrument.

-Scot

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I agree with some of what Ken said. My first impressions are that the bass is not nearly as old as indicated and that if it is it must have been thoroughly refinished; I mean scars sanded out and the whole nine yards. Unless, of course, It was in someones attic for 150 years.

just my 2p

10. Is there an echo in here?

11. I think so!

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Ah, Great minds think alike !