Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Karl Herman Bow

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Benton, Jan 18, 2004.

1. I have always played german style bow and have an old favorite. Recently I have been playing cello in school with my violin class and found the bow very cofortable. Years ago my great uncle gave me a pair of French style bows with the hair cut off. They are were both Identical French style "Karl Herman Germay" 25 inches long (seems Short) with round stick. (octagonal at the frog) One was complete but the tip has been broken and glued. The other had crack on the frog was missing screw and and sliding cover ( on frog Forgot its name) I took the good frog and screw and put it on the good stick and sent it out for a rehair. I don't know much else about it, any info would be great.
    Peace
    Benton

2. I have a Karl Hermann bow that I got when I bought my double bass a couple years ago. Mine is a german style bow. It is nice, but I haven't been able to use it a lot since I play mostly jazz (and it is too loud to practice with a bow in my apartment for now). I got the bow from a little violin shop in St. Louis, and the owner said it was made in Germany (maybe Mittenwald, I can't remember) probably around the 1930s. Thats about all I know about it though, so I'm also curious if anyone else here is familiar with those bows.

3. So some one has actually heard of it. since I posted I looked all over the net and came up empty. The bow is still out being rehaired I'll send a review. Thanks Benton