For Sale Karl Hoyt Custom P/J Bass 2005 (?) LIGHTWEIGHT

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by ra33ra33, Feb 29, 2020.

1. ra33ra33

ra33ra33

Mar 26, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Price:
    Strings:
    DSC05960.JPG DSC05968.JPG DSC05961.JPG DSC05962.JPG DSC05963.JPG DSC05964.JPG DSC05965.JPG DSC05966.JPG DSC05967.JPG Offered for sale is this stunningly gorgeous one-of-a-kind Northern Ash P/J Bass custom made by noted boutique luthier Karl Hoyt. I have owned about 40 basses over the course my lifetime and this one is the lightest ever -- 7 lbs., 12.6 oz. I love this bass, which sounds and plays as good as it looks, but I have way too many basses and guitars and am facing an ultimatum from my better half. This bass is in near mint, virtually unplayed condition. I never gigged with it, never even took it out of the house. There is one insignificant ding -- a very small and shallow one on the 20th fret between the D and G strings. To be honest, I hadn't even noticed it until someone looking over this post caught it in one of the pictures. Needless to say, this ding does not affect the tone or playability of this custom bass. I have uploaded an additional close-up picture.

I bought this bass directly from Karl, a generous soul and a true gent, in 2005 or so, as I best I can recall. Both Karl and I were then active on the long defunct Dudepit bulletin board. That's how I first learned of Karl's legendary skills and his amazing instruments.

I have been in contact with Karl recently and here's what he had to say about this bass:

"As best as I can recall from looking at the pictures, it is a 34" scale. I know for sure that it's northern ash.... which gives it a really great low-mid growl. Purpleheart laminations, looks like an Indian rosewood fingerboard. If it's from '05 it might be an early set of Nordstrand P/J's as I had to switch from Lane Poor pickups around that time and somehow ended up with Carey Nordstrand's outstanding pickups.... 500k volume, probably an .022 capacitor and blend knob.

"The finish is my usual oil/poly hand rubbed finish.... which appears to have held up pretty nicely....

"Since every one of my instruments is a one-off and I built in such small numbers, I never got into using serial numbers, just the date ....

"Gotoh bridge and tuners: my usual sculpted body."

NO TRADES, as I probably would not live to complete the transaction. ;)
    (Well, unless it's a once in a lifetime offer that I could truly not refuse . . . )

$850 and will ship in a new gig bag to the CONUS for $60. Local pickup welcome, I'm in the Atlanta metro area.

Please feel free to ask questions. I'm happy to take and post additional pictures.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    timplog, SonicBlueJoe and feschyn like this.
  2. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Don't create no problem, won't be no problem.
    What no pics?

ra33ra33, CJL and marcwhy like this.
  3. ra33ra33

ra33ra33

Mar 26, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Oops, I believed I had. Bear with me, I'm a little new at this. Fixed now.

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Wow! Another Hoyt owner within 100 miles of me! (That's a Hoyt in my profile pic). If I hadn't just put a Nordstrand Acinonyx order in, I'd jump all over this.

ra33ra33 likes this.
  5. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    That's beautiful.

feschyn and ra33ra33 like this.
  6. MrWarwick71

MrWarwick71 Supporting Member

May 1, 2017
    Wow. Such a beauty piece of ash. Love the wave like grain. If it was a 5 string I would be sending payment....
    All the best.
    Cheers

ra33ra33 likes this.
  7. Steadfast

Steadfast

Sep 28, 2015
    Search Me
    How many frets? I can’t get the count right on my phone lol

ra33ra33 likes this.
  8. ra33ra33

ra33ra33

Mar 26, 2002
    Atlanta, GA

Steadfast likes this.
  9. Steadfast

Steadfast

Sep 28, 2015
    Search Me
    22. Awesome bass. Thanks

ra33ra33 likes this.
  10. ra33ra33

ra33ra33

Mar 26, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    It is. Thanks. I'm only selling because I have to thin the herd in a major way. At my peak, I had 32 basses and 6 guitars. And I really need to get that total down below 10. I've listed 15-20 for sale so far, and sold a bunch. Of all I've listed, this is the one I'll miss the most. I know I'll never find a custom bass of this quality for close to this price. Oh well.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021