Karl Knilling bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by reelbass, Jul 15, 2005.

1. reelbass

Jan 1, 2005
    What is the general quality of these basses? Trying to decide on a bass for a beginner student. Thanks
  2. If this is the Knilling bass from Eastern Europe, I looked at a plywood version a couple of years ago - I was quite impressed with it (for a student instrument). It played great, looked well-enough made, sounded fine - and I remember it being so much heavier than my Kay.

I think much of this comes from a great setup in the store. I would've seriously considered giving it another look/try but I was looking for a carved bass at that time.
  3. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
    If this is the Knilling from Korea, stay away!!!.

Borrowed one from the local Middle School for a week. The neck had come off and had to be reattached.
  4. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    I learned on a Knilling, and it was a heck of a lot better than any chinese bass that I have played. Necks coming off is a problem that most entry level instruments, or at least that is my understanding and experiance.
  5. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    This is a trade name used by an import company. At one time they came from Germany. I'm not sure where they come from today. The one's I've seen were just ok.
  6. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Wow - that's too bad... Many of the entry level instruments made today (with obvious exception of the infamous Ebay cheapies), are remarkably well-made.

However, the Korean Knillings I have come across have been - as Martin said - just OK.