1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

KARR's STRINGS

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by vitoliuzzi, Sep 28, 2008.

1. vitoliuzzi

vitoliuzzi

Dec 7, 2003
    South Italy
    Dear Forum,
    I've seen the nice video by Jason Heath's blog about Maestro Karr in the 1969. I've got a curiosity. But which strings did he use in 1969 !!! ... and the ones he uses Today !!!

Thanks a lot in advance.

Vito

2. Ive heard he plays corellis, at least in recent years, what kind I dont know.

3. pipeman

pipeman

Mar 20, 2005
    jersey city
    great video. thanks for hippin me to it. probably using flexocores at that time........

4. anonymous12251111

anonymous12251111 Banned

Apr 6, 2007
    Gary Karr uses Helicore Solo Strings. I found this information out because I'm friends with his protege Daniel Nix. Mr. Karr used to use Corelli strings, but only on the Koussevitzky bass.

5. vitoliuzzi

vitoliuzzi

Dec 7, 2003
    South Italy
    Kalvin,
    but it's strange that he has changed the gauge of his string.
    Btw thanks a lot for this information.

6. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    When I saw Jeff Bradetich playing Gary Karr's Koussevitzky bass, it looked like they were the Corelli mediums on it even though he was in solo tuning. I wasn't right next to the bass so maybe I didn't see the colors quite right.

You could probably string up just about anything on it and would still sound killer... :bassist:...but I remember reading Gary rave about Corelli strings in a mag article somewhere.

Anyway in the Dragonetti concerto recording I have of Gary, there's a lot of pizz sustain in his cadenza in the 3rd mvmt. It makes me wonder if he was using spirocore solo strings or something similar for it.

7. vitoliuzzi

vitoliuzzi

Dec 7, 2003
    South Italy
    Off Topic

IMHO I think in that cadenza he uses "artificial" sustain or something similar.

8. vitoliuzzi

vitoliuzzi

Dec 7, 2003
    South Italy
    Well, now I know exactly what he used and uses today.

Until 15 years ago, he used Pirastro Flexocore Solo on top, Pirastro orchestra strings on the two bottom strings tuned up to solo. He likes the tension on the bottom strings because it makes it easier for bowing (from his words). Now he uses Helicores with same combination or Corellis with same combination. But he begun his career with gut strings.

Best regards

Vito