Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kart-a-Bag

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by uprightrob, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Hey, All!

I'm downsizing my rig, and looking to replace my Rock & Roller with a more compact unit.

The Kart-a-bag line looks good, but I don't know which one would be best for carrying a couple of small cabs.

I'm hoping some of you giggers will be able to recommend a small folding cart.

Rob

2. I've been using the Tri Kart 800 for years now, and it has served me well. I first saw it when one of my Photocopier tech buddies used it to carry his tools all over downtown Chicago. It has held up very well, and I've stacked lots of heavy stuff on it. It's very stable too.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i like the SKB RollX for my racks. but the wheels cant really take too much of a beating over rough gravel. so, i've since switched to Odyssey Rack Bags. great investment. see my old thread.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60166

but this has been my workhorse for carting my cabs during the past year. light as a feather, handles about 175 lbs. and folds up nicely.

[​IMG]

4. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Manufacturer and model number?

Thanks,

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I've got one almost exactly like that, only the top part folds down and up instead of popping up airport/carry-on style. I don't know the brand off the top of my head, but I do remember I bought it at a camera store, and it has a lifetime warranty. GREAT CART. The size of the wheels makes the ride smooth as well. If I can dig up the maker's name, I'll post it here.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've been using a Commander 600 since the mid-80's.
    Looks a lot like this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Collapses down to almost nothing, strong, lightweight, extreeeemely durable, I've even moved a refrigerator with mine. Replacement parts are available but I've never needed anything. Still has the original bungie cords, in great shape. Money well spent. I believe the Command 600 was rated at 300 lbs.

I've hauled all manner of gear on it and it still works like new. I've had mine for over 15 years.

I can easily carry this rig, with an additional gig/toolbag on top:

[​IMG]

7. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I got tired of hauling around my cart so I put better wheels on my speaker cabinet and load everything I can on top.

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    What do you do on stairs?

9. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I've been checkin out carts too. Ive seem some that look like Joker's that are made by Ruxxac. You can find them on ebay and I found some through Yahoo's shopping search engine. There are cheaper knock off's available too but the Ruxxacs look the sturdiest.

Hey Joker, do you find that the bottom plate on yours is deep enough for your cabs? Do you have any problems with the cabs tipping forward off the cart when you tip the cart back?

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    The Kart-a-bag has very sturdy bungie cords that hold anything I've ever put on it in place, even my old Trace Elliot way too big single 15.

I've seen the other carts and the K-A-B is probably more expensive. IMO with the longevity I've experienced it's well worth the money. I hauled lots of computer gear including the big HP office laserjets for many years in addition to my music gear.

11. Mine looks a lot like Brad's, only it has the extra set of wheels that fold down in the back so when you tilt it, you can roll it in it's tilted position, without having to hold it in that position. I really liked that feature.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    sorry,

mine's the Wesco Ultralite cart. i got mine at B&H Photo and Video here in midtown. tried to find it elsewhere, but i bit the bullet and paid the tax.

it was a toss up between the Commander and the Wesco, and i liked the bigger and softer wheels of the Wesco better. didnt seem like it'd jostle and jolt my sensitive preamps with tubes and whatnot. has a real smooth ride, that i doubt anything with hard wheels like the commander or anything else would be able to offer.

13. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    When using my speaker cab. for a cart, stairs are a big problem. Fortunately, I haven't had to deal with stairs at a gig site in a while. If I do, I may just have to break out my old beat up cart again. But even then, a tight steep stairway is a major PITA, so I prefer real small gear for those gigs. :)

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I take my Kart-a-bag up steep stairs on a regular basis. Much easier than lifting each piece of gear. It has sliders on the back just for this purpose.

I haven't noticed any roughness when pushing or pulling my cart. Never had a problem with any of my gear, including tube stuff.

15. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Wanna buy mine? I think it's the 600. It retails for over $100. plus cover plus tax.

I'll sell you mine for $50. You pay shipping from 01301. It weighs about 11 lbs.

Let me know, I'll dig it out.
    My stuff is too big.

16. Thanks for the help, folks! I got the Wesco Superlite at Tri State on 20th Street.

It's a little bigger than I expected, but it'll be fine, as long at it doesn't dump my new speakers onto the sidewalk.

Rob

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

woah,

sliders? hmm... that's actually quite cool. always is a pain in the ass to undo everything and lift stuff up and down stairs.

18. BenF

BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
  19. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Lee Valley tools sells the cart Joker posted for about $150 CDN. You can get Ruxxac carts from Club Bass for $175 CDN. The Ruxxac has a longer bed, and I love mine! Folds up small behind my rig, so I always know where it is, does stairs and curbs, and carries my 100lb rig like it's nothing.

20. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    That's the one I have, and I'll second the opinion that it is THE ****. Makes my life way easier.