kasha bass bar

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by basscomp, Apr 1, 2003.

1. basscomp

Feb 7, 2003
    New York, NY
    kasha bass bar
    Is anyone familiar with the Kasha bass bar system. I know its an unusual name, but I've heard that it works well on guitars and I've met some musicians here in New York who told me that they have heard tremendous improvements in a viola and violin. Instead of a normal bar, the Kasha system has one small bar and radiating spokes. The claim is that it really improves the sound of the fundamental pitch, especially in the lower register. Thanks
  2. Michael Kasha has actually 2 separate and different bass bar designs patented. The one for doublebass and cello is different than the one for violin, and viola. I saw and played one that the Hammond Ashley shop had done several years ago. The instrument played very well, but of course, I did not have a chance to hear what it sounded like before the Kasha bass bar was installed. I don't know if HA has installed the Kasha bass bar on any other instruments. Here's the URL for the United States Patent Office Kalsha patent. There are diagrams that you can look at in addition to the text.

3. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I think you've posted this link before, eh Bob? You know, I could never get those diagrams to work -- I had to piece together my view of the Kasha stuff by reading that patent-writeup legalese text! Looked like the web page couldn't find the diagram files or something....
  4. Damon - Go back to the US Pat. Office home page and see the instructions for viewing the Full Page images. They are in TIFF format and you need a free plug-in that is available from their site.
  5. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I think the most important part of Kasha's system (when used on bass) is the shape of the central bass bar. It is lower under the bridge, with two "humps", each about 1/3 of the way from the end. I believe this design de-stiffens the top where it needs to flex, but still gives plenty of support where it's needed. I've been using this design on basses which feel or sound stiff, with good results. I do not bother with the extra radial pieces--too much work!