Katoh passes away :( What's a "brainstem infarction"?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Petebass, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You've probably already heard that Daijiro Katoh lost his battle for life after craching his motorbike in the first race of the season :(

I know that motor cycle racing is a dangerous occupation. Katoh knew that too. But with safety being high on the agenda when designing race tracks, motor sport deaths are very few and far between. He was only 26 years old and a rider with a big chance of going places.

The official cause of death was "brainstem infarction". What exactly is that?
  2. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    supposedly Suzuka is far behind other tracks as far as safety is concerned...

but i'm really surprised more moto gp people don't get injured. i mean, i've seen plenty of people highside at 200+ mph, bounce on the pavement and slide for hundreds of feet, and then just get up, dust themselves off, and jump over the outer barrier.

i guess those race leathers and armor are good for something, eh? ;)

and infarction means that the cells died. so he must have either gotten a massive bruise/blunt trauma or some serious tearing and loss of blood supply. Ouchie.
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Falling off doesn't hurt unless you land unusually akwardly of get trapped by the bike. The slide doesn't hurt at all - It's the sudden stop that does the damage. Which is why tracks have huge run-off areas at each corner, and why I saw Schwantz fall off at 300km/h right in front of me at Eastern Creek once, get up, and run to the pits to get his spare bike - he was fine but I stopped breathing for a few minutes.

Apparently Katoh fell off BEFORE the corner and hit a barrier. No-one seems to be able to explain why.

Thanks for the explaination of Infarction. By the sounds of it he would have been severely brain damaged if he survived. Maybe this was the kinder result.
  4. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    A brainstem infarct is usually fatal in 90% of all cases. The brain stem is very sensitive to injury and is really doesnt take much to cause a problem or even death. In plain terms an infarct is a loss of blood supply to an area. The most common is a myocardial infarct (heart attack). In the brain, an infarct if most commonly caused by a blood clot, swelling due to injury, or a bleed due trauma.

Fallinf off a bike is most certainly injurious. Most racers wear heavy leathers, helmets, gloves, etc. The average Joe usually only wears a helmet. Ever hear of road rash? Thats when the pavement literally tears the flesh like a cheese grater. Thats the least of the inuries I have seen. Since most roads arent set up for motorcycles, there are lots of things to rip parts off your body. The helmet assures that we can identify the remains.

In the ER we call them Murder or Donor Cycles.

5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Thanks for the explaination Doc..... we know the dangers, Katoh knew the dangers. Ironically we usually get this speech from someone who's a heart attack waiting to happen while they're simultaneously smoking a cigarette and swigging their 5th beer......

It's as dangerous as you make it! For every dead body you see in the ER, there are thousands of motorcyclists out there enjoying their machines injury free.
  6. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I have no idea who this guy was but it is still very sad to hear. :(
  7. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    when i get my bike in a month i will ALWAYS wear a helmet, gloves, protective jacket, long pants, and leather shoes.

plus i'm too much of a puss to try anything crazy enough to get me too mangled ;)
  8. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    When I opened the thread I thought it would be about the whale from free willy, but that's kako isnt it:oops:

Thats a shame about the biker, all the greats end up going out early :(
  9. Word. When I had my bike I always made sure to protect myself especially any contact points (feet, hands, head) so I wouldn't skimp on the gear I would buy.
  10. VanillaF4i

Apr 20, 2003
    Daijiro was a great rider and I used to watch him race all the time a couple years ago. I'm a very close follower of MotoGP. It's very sad to see that happen, being a fellow rider it hits close to home.

RIP Katoh