1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Submission Katy Perry - Chained To The Rhythm

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Jloch86, Mar 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    New Jersey
    Heard this song the other night and just had to learn it. My first instinct was to ride 16th ghost notes for the verses but it didn't sound right. Then I tried finger style without riding 16th ghost notes, still didn't work. Reached for the pick, bingo.

Saxophone by Andre Schnura

Attached Files:

2. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    Thanks as always.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    Jloch86 likes this.
  3. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    New Jersey
    That's just the kind of criticism I've been waiting for. The muted notes I do hear and did not play or even notate correctly but... that B at the end of the second bar..... that's not even a 32nd note! It's a 256th note for crying out loud. I haven't slowed it down enough to really scrutinize it, but now my ears do detect it now. It's a difficult line to play at tempo and stay tight in the pocket as it is, but when you throw in a phrase that requires that kind of articulation - 4 notes: two 32nd notes, two ghosted sixteenth notes, a hammer on, a slide, each note with a different dynamic, played cleanly and without fret noise..... jeez... I'd bet my entire Seinfeld and Stern collection that it's being played by a keyboard and certainly nothing any sane producer would expect from even the best bassist in a recording session. Perhaps they slowed the track down during the studio recording and then sped it up to tempo (if it's even being played by a session guy)?

Are you classically trained? I'd expect that kind of dissection from a classically trained ear, but I come from the school of Chambers, Jamerson, Flea, and Robbie Shakespeare... It just sounds like a really quick slide to me!

What made you go back to this one?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    Whousedtoplay and LeeNunn like this.
  4. Ant Illington

Ant Illington I'm Anthony but I'm only illin' SUSPENDED

Who are you talking to in this reply? Did a post get deleted? Also, where is the crazy "that kind of articulation - 4 notes: two 32nd notes, two ghosted sixteenth notes, a hammer on, a slide, each note with a different dynamic, played cleanly and without fret noise." I looked at the attached transcription (only on phone) and I didn't see anything striking.

I also didn't see a low B in the 2nd bar. What's going on here?

5. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    New Jersey
    :roflmao:

The third post down. Whousedtoplay posted a giant image of how he interpreted the line along with commentary. You don't see it?