Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kawai alembic copy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Just found one of these in zebrawood off the internet for a good price. I never played one in person but i played some alembics and lot of people state how close these can sound to an alembic while realisticly knowing that its not an alembic. im wondering what you guys think about them that owned or played them? Im just hoping mainly that bass will be durable and old up well over most the basses ive had lately.

2. I've never seen a better build instrument. I own a near perfect example of the bass you have Zebra/Maple/Zebra and it's simply the grand piano of basses for me. Tone out the ying-yang. It balances better than the Alembics I've played (that doesn't put me off of Alembics however :D ). I think that it doesn't quite replicate the bottom end of the Alembics but I can EQ some of that.

Got mine on ebay from a vintage shop in Virginia Beach VA for about $450.

I also wouldn't characterize it as an Alembic "copy". It's certainly styled after the Alembic but there's plenty in it's design that stands on it's own and can't be mistaken for the Alembics.