Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

kawai f2b

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skunkrawk, Dec 7, 2003.

1. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    after reading all the positive things about these beautiful alembic styled basses in the forums, i gave in and bought one. its a year 2000 (or so the seller claims, i didnt know they were still available in the us for that year) and i got it for $525. it hasnt arrived yet, it will sometime next week (ill post a review and more pics). it appears mint except for the trussrod cover is missing, if anyone sees one let me know, i think i might just make one for it. if you have the same model, post pics of it in this forum! share likes/dislikes/info about your basses, im trying to learn as much about this beauty as possible. specs are on the site (i forgot the link) thanks guys! let me know what ya think!:bassist:

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Oooohh, that looks like a nice one. I played one of these for several years in the early 80's. Nice bass.

3. Well, it's not a 2000 for sure. Sorry :(

As far as I've been able to determine, these basses were discontinued in the very early 90's at the latest. Damn shame because they are killer instruments. I HAD to have one after playing an example in a pawn shop. I got mine from a dealer in VA. off of ebay - $458. Probably a little higher than I wanted to pay but I was not going to be denied and that "other" bidder was stubborn! I call it my "Poor Man's Alembic"

I don't have a pic server right now so no photos but mine is zebrawood over a maple core with a 5 piece maple and mahogany neck. 9 of 10 condition. I'd really like to locate an original case for this one.

My only beef with my bass is that the saddles on the bridge are nearly directly over the holes for the body stringing so that the string makes a right angle break over the saddle before diving into the body. Intonation is almost correct but I can't gain anything more adjustment because of the bridge location. Solutions include bypassing the thru-body stringing (a choice I don't like at all), installing a new bridge with different geometry that would fit the spacing better (likely not possible and retain the high mass qualities of the original bridge), Or install a Schaller roller bridge like was used on the later models and perhaps modify it for thru-stringing.

4. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    hey, this is one of the later models with the schaller bridge (see picture) and i also dont believe it is a 2000 model, but i do believe its one of the last to be imported, as it has all of the newer features and is in mint condition. would anyone else like to share?

5. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    heres a close up of the front

6. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    pic of the back (note that these are the images the seller sent me, i have not recieved the bass yet)

7. That's a cool specimen. I see some flame in the neck stringers. There are two unusual things on mine - one is an inclusion in the rather straight grain in the middle of the upper bout. It's dark and very noticeable - more on that later. The second thing is that the fretboard is the lightest rosewood I've ever seen. It's only a shade or 2 off from the maple.

My first pro bass was a new Fender Precision "Blackie" that I bought new. I got a great deal because of a dinger somebody put in the body in exactly the same spot as the inclusion in the Kawai. I was eerily drawn to the instrument when I saw the auction.

OK, enough melancholy remeniscing!:rolleyes:

8. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    it arrived about a week ago, im blown away by how great this thing sounds! the construction is incredibly well done and i can get any tone i want with the controls (2volume 2tone 2character switches and a pickup selector) ill post some pics soon, i recommend these to anyone who can find one, i was lucky enough to find mine in mint condition. i might post a more detailed review later if anyone wants one. thanks! -dave

9. Here's a quick shot of mine:

10. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    looks nice hambone, i really like the wood. mine looks like that but it has a different bridge (schaller) and different woods on top (koa)i should have pics up tommorow

11. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Dang, I NEED one of those. That zebrawood is tres cool.