1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kawai is no joke! (NBD content inside)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rojo412, May 25, 2011.

1. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    So I got this bass, delivered from UPS... those guys manage to screw everything up!

100_1839.

JUST KIDDING!!!

The bass came in perfect working order. I just wanted to freak people out (what if you DID get a package like that?!?).

I snagged this from fellow TBer Scootbass1 and I don't think I could be happier with the transaction. I took it apart for a proper polishing, cleaning, and rewiring...
    This is what it looks like all put together:

100_1844.

The bass came with VVT and a dummy pot and black plastic knobs. I decided to rewire with VVT and a pickup select switch, just so everything had a purpose. And the Gold knobs set it off like no one's business!

100_1854.

So anyway, let me just say, this bass is AMAZING!!! It's got a graphite neck which is just perfect. Slight relief, but no issues at all and that perfectly clear-as-a-bell tone just oozes out of it.

100_1850.

It's light as a feather, too. The EMGs sound like they should (graphite and all).
    It's got an instant "80's Slapper" vibe and if you can play like Mark King or Vic Wooten, it's got that tone out of the gate. Love it or hate it, this bass sounds like it should. I happen to love it. This is essentially like the poor-man's Status or Steinberger.

I have no idea why these basses aren't worth more, but I have to say, I've played basses that cost 10x what this did and this would beat them. It's an outstanding instrument and I can't wait to see how it sounds with the band.

2. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Nice!

3. SCMan88

SCMan88

May 1, 2011
    Cool neck! :)

Have fun with it!

4. I had a Kawai bass in the 90s and used it as my primary bass for maybe 4 years. Not a graphite neck and the pickups were different, but it was a really good instrument. Light, and very easy to play. Good sound, too.

Congrats to you!

5. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    Very cool

6. Scootbass1

Scootbass1 Gold Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Chillicothe, Illinois

7. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    I actually played one of these many years ago when they were new and I was really impressed with the tone. Very piano like" tone if I remember right.

8. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I just played this thing tonight, with a drummer, and WOW!!!! It's incredible. This bass has THE carbon tone. I've previously owned most of the main players in the carbon-fiber bass neck game and this sits right next to all of them for an amazing clarity that is just intense. Reminds me a lot of my Steinberger, but that's not a shock... carbon, late 80s, EMGs. BAM!

I actually raised the action from where you had it, I was too heavy handed to play with it that low, but the fact that it's able to easily be set that low... so cool.

Sorry about the deuce-drop shot. I figured that would be a bit of a shocker, but believe me when I say, it was lovingly polished to as close to "like new" as I could get it. You took great care of it and for that, I thank you.

I have a Spector Tone Pump on the way for it (traded for some pickups I wasn't going to use). We will see how that treats this monster, but it sounds damn good as it sits.
    I also have vinyl inlay stickers I'm debating on using. I'll keep posted.

9. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Nice find. & congrats.