Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kawia Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JHMAVRO, Aug 18, 2000.

1. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    Kawia basses arnt available in the US for some reason or another so I was wondering if anybody Knows were I can aquire one. I used to have a RB600 or something like that and want another one.
    Hey, anybody hear got one the want to get rid of???

Im off to classifids........see ya

[Edited by JHMAVRO on 08-18-2000 at 10:03 AM]

2. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    Are you talking about "Kawai" basses? Your best bet may be to check on Ebay. I've seen them show up there once in a while.

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I was checking some stores online a few days ago, and some place had (in the us) like 3 Kawais. I CANT remember where, but i think it was http://www.basspalace.com or http://www.bassplace.com or whatever. But they had 3 of them! I thought about posting the site here for hambone (i think hes the one with the Kawai! :rolleyes: ), but i didnt. Oh well. Well there, i HOPE thats the store.

[Edited by MegaAngus on 08-18-2000 at 04:02 PM]

4. and it's a sweetie. They are fairly rare except that you will find at least one on any given day on ebay. They made two series as far as I can tell. The F2B series is essentially a knockoff of the Alembic both in looks and function. The other series (what I think you are looking for) is the bolt-on neck versions. The startling thing about the basses on ebay is that they sell for between $350 and $450 for the F2B's and little lower for the bolt-ons. There are many different wood combinations in this version -mahogony w/maple, koa w/maple, maple/maple and some painted versions. My bass is a zebrawood/maple/mahogany that is striking in design. The other basses (the bolt-ons) I've seen are koa or mahogany bodies with maple/graphite necks. I don't like the design quite as much but they are an excellent value and surely well built. You probably can't go wrong with this selection. They have Gotoh hardware, 18v preamps and killer pups. I wanted one cuz I couldn't afford an Alembic. If you want one, you should go ahead and shop - I don't think they are getting any more plentiful since they stopped making the F2B a few years ago.

Here's a quick look at it:
    [​IMG]

[Edited by Hambone on 08-19-2000 at 09:08 AM]

5. That little dark mark on the body is NOT from some clumsy oaf of a bass player whacking it against the divan! It's just a natural flaw in the woodgrain. I sorta like it.

6. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    Sweet bass!!! I allmost got one instead of my 5 string RB6-whatever. Mine was a five string bolt-on with pasive jazz pickups and a 9volt EQ. Played and sounded like a piano. Got drunk and smashed the headstock on a cymbal. Stupid man. Anyway, My girlfreinds showing me here portfolio the other day and theres a picture of me playing a gig with it, now I got to get another.I miss it man.

7. Boy, your "piano" analogy is right on. This thing is my piano. It has harmonics that I've never had on any other bass. That could be because I've been a bolt-on player most of the time. Even my old Ibanez Artist EQ didn't sound like this. There was one on ebay last week that went for around $365. The difference that I saw was that it had what appeared to be and aftermarket bridge, not the brass hunk that mine has. That also meant that it went from being strung through the body to tail stop strings. I think that change would have a negative affect on the tone.

Anyway, good luck on your hunt!

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Oh, and i assume in your title, you meant Kawai! I just realized that! Anyway, yeah, http://www.basspalace.com has 2 Kawais.

9. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    Thanks MegaAngus. Yea, Im not a good speller :)

10. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    There's one on eBay right now. Item # 411432957 - Koa body, graphite neck. It looks pretty nice.

(BTW I'm not advertising-it's not mine)