1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Sale Kay 5-String Chubby Jackson Model - Needs Work

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by Shmeg, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Shmeg

Shmeg Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2019
    Price:
    $500
    Strings:
    Kay 5-String S-51B Serial # 23903 "Chubby Jackson Model"

Purchased circa 1994 from Bill Merchant used on a few gigs in the 1990s, kept in home since. The fingerboard is wider than the neck to accommodate the 5 strings.

About the work needed: The top arch has sunk near the right F-hole, and the top has become partly unglued on the sides. I took it to Finlay and Gage, who said the top will need to be taken off, re-pressed and re-glued with some work on the sound post. Since I am not interested in playing the 5 string anymore, I am selling for $500. Will consider trades (I may be interested in a 5 string electric fretless).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    unbrokenchain likes this.
  2. Steven Ayres

Steven Ayres Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    This looks like it may have been originally blonde, making it an S-51B. Does it have this designation, or perhaps 'blonde' noted on the label or stamped in back?

Does the label include the notation 'Chubby Jackson Model'?

Looks like a bass-bar failure.

3. Yep. Sprung bar, ply top, dry old glue. RRRRRIPP!

4. Shmeg

Shmeg Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2019

5. Shmeg

Shmeg Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2019
    Yes it does have "Blonde" stamped on the label - with the S51-B designation. It doesn't say Chubby Jackson on the label but that's what Bill Merchant told me when I bought it.

6. Steven Ayres

Steven Ayres Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    It's a fair description.

7. Also some unusual re-edging seems to have been done. The original exterior linings would likely have also been blonde.

Looking at the unusually small distance from the top purfling to the edge, it looks as the top was trimmed flush with the exterior lining, and maybe changed the exterior lining. This probably would have been done instead of re-edging delaminated top and back plys.

8. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    An honest price and a manageable project for someone who knows what they are doing.

9. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    You have a PM.