Kay 5 String Ebay bass. Care to comment?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by charmicarmicat, Jun 19, 2005.

1. hey all.
    i spotted this bass on ebay and it looks intriguing. first of all b/c i sort of live down the street and second b/c of it's price. now the thing is beat up no doubt about that, but can this be a project bass? if so what would the cost would be to bring it up to par? should i even bother? i don't expect you guys to give me a on the nose assesement but just by looking at those pictures, what can you guys tell/suggest? bare in mind that i am an electric bass player who's looking to expand its horizon:)
    thank you all for taking the time.
  2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Pictures don't tell the whole story, but it looks to be in good shape. However, there are 8 days left on the sale... I wonder how high this thing will go. Can you go over to the seller's house and check out the bass?
  3. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    If you are serious about getting it, see if the owner will let you take it to a luthier to get it looked at. If it's something that will work out for you, make an offer and the guy may take it and cancel the auction in favor of a local sale. Better that than have to deal with shipping concerns, etc. I've been able to do that here in town before.

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I wish they'd have put more and bigger dots on the fingerboard;)
  5. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    It says the buyer has to pick up the bass, so it looks like he's not going to ship it. Private parties tend to stick to local when selling basses, even on ebay.
  6. since i live down the street, los angeles term to a 15-20 minute drive, i could check it out once the seller replies to my email. and btw, chef, the size of the dots are a plus for me coming from the electric side. no need to make fun of me, pal:) and nick, yes i agree with you since i am a long time ebayer, that the price will go up quite a bit in the last few hours of the auction. i'll keep my eyes on this thread as well as on the auction. thank you all for posting replies. very very much appreciated!