Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kay Bass Finish Touchup and Glue ???'s

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by WinterBass, Mar 20, 2005.

1. WinterBass

WinterBass

May 19, 2002
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Endorsing Artist: MTD
    Hello All,

I recently aquired a 60's Kay C-1 Bass for $100.00. :) It needs some work. I need to reglue the fingerboard, install a new nut, saddle, soundpost and bridge. I have cleaned the bass since these pictures with simply green and have been able to remove the grime and white paint marks on the back.

Questions :help: :

1. What do you recommend to touch up the edges and a few scratches with? I may have read that I could use violin varnish. Is there a specific brand, and what would I tint it with? I would need a black/brown color and a honey brown color. If I understand correctly, I should not use stain, the color should be in the finish.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. As you can see in the picture below, there is a crack in the scroll. I think it will separate completely when I remove the tuning gear plates. What glue would be recommended. I can use hot hide glue, or should I use yellow carpenters glue? Don't worry, I will use Hide glue to reglue the fingerboard.

[​IMG]

Additionally, I do have another instrument, and would like to try the repairs myself.

Thanks for any input.
    Eric

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    You can use spirit varnish (shellac) to do the touchup. Tandy Leather Co. sells some terrific dyes, called Pro Dyes, that are alcohol based and blend with spirit varnish. If there isn't one in your area, do a web search and find the nearest store near you. They can ship the dyes. The Medium Brown, Chocolate Brown, and Cordovan are good to start with. They sell a sample pack kit, it has several different colors. Make sure you get the Pro Dyes...

Apply a clear coat first, let it dry, then apply some color coats. Once you get the desired color, brush on some more clear.

Is that crack all the way through the scroll? Or is it just a hairline crack?

3. WinterBass

WinterBass

May 19, 2002
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Endorsing Artist: MTD
    Nick, thank you for the advice. It will probably be a month befor I get to working on this repair. I will update the post when it happens.

Unfortunately, the crack in the scroll is all the way through. I am not sure how far into the pegbox it goes. I will have to disassemble it first. I think I will use hide glue for this repair also.

Eric

4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It's actually a good thing that the crack goes all the way though. That way you can get glue on the entire crack. Hairline cracks are difficult to get good glue coverage. Clamping up the scroll will require some extra brain cells and gumption, but I'm sure you will think of something. G/L!