Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kay bass vs others

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by JAS, Sep 24, 2003.

1. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    I have been off and on very frustrated with my bass for the last couple years. I play a good amount and practice a good amount. I have studied with great teachers. I have tried 10 different brands/models of strings. I am still frustrated though with how my bass feels and sounds most of the time. Whenever I try someone elses bass, it seems to be easier and more comfortable to play, but most people who try my bass say that they think it feels nice. I have a Kay M1 bass. Any advice? If I am looking to maybe buy a new bass and sell this one, where do I go from here? What is the next step up from the bass that I have?

2. Obviously now is the time for you to seek out a new and better instrument. OR seek out a technician who can get more from your instrument. Multitudes of players have started, yours truly included, with Kays. I used one for ten years, even through a stint with the US Army Field Band and the Wichita Symphony.

You need to go where there a lot of basses of a wide price range and try, try, try, play, play, play ! If you will tell me where you live, I may be able to point you in the right direction for a dealer of dealers who have good selections of intruments. And be sure to have your teacher(s) check them out.

I speak with more than 50 years of experience.

Bob Monroney
    retired bassist/luthier

3. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    Thanks,
    I live in Chicago. I would love to go check out some other basses. There's really only one place that I know of near the city that has basses and they don't have that big a selection.

4. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    Hey Bob,
    Do you know of a good shop in the Dallas, TX area?

Sorry to hord in on your post JAS.

Good Luck . . . Jim Watkins

5. JAS,

Go to www.golihur.com/kkbass/basslink.
    Click on luthiers list. There are several in the Dallas area. Same list for Chicago area.

Good Luck,

Bob Monroney

6. Jas, there are tons of resources right here on TB>Basses for people like you. PM our own Arnold Schnitzer. Better yet, for starters, here on basses, just above your thread, there's a review on Arnolds New Standard basses that sound like something you might be interested in.
    In Chicago, there's a place called Kagan and Gaines that use to carry alot of basses. You might check with the Musicians union. As Bob said check the luthiers list. Nows the time!