1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kay blasphemy?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by thejumpcat, Mar 22, 2009.

1. thejumpcat

thejumpcat thejumpcat

Sep 30, 2007
    metro-Detroit
    OK, I live near Detroit, and the economy is really, really tough right now. I've sold EVERY piece of gear I have -- 49 Kay Swingmaster, GK 1001RBII, Acme Low B2, Fender Custom Shop 55 Precision -- to pay bills until my wife's commission job materializes.

That said, I needed a bass. Ideally, an upright (preferably a NS Cleveland). But no can do right now with the cash situation. Gotta cover bills first THEN my equipment. So, I pulled the trigger on a reissue of the old Kay electric bass:

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...ue-Guitars-Reissue-Pro-Bass-Guitar?sku=528023

I know, I know -- it ain't an upright. But, I'm hoping that for the jump blues stuff I play, this will fit the bill until the paychecks come in and the Cleveland is ordered.

Anybody in TB land experienced these yet? I should probably post on the "other" side as well, but this seems to be an axe that upright players are going to grind more than EBers.

Forgive me father, for I might've sinned.....

2. No expirience with it but the Eastwood guitars, Club Bass is similar and cheaper.

3. thejumpcat

thejumpcat thejumpcat

Sep 30, 2007
    metro-Detroit
    Well, I just Googled Eastwood and they sure do look like tasty axes. You ever play one?

I read an online Bass Player magazine review of the Kay reissue and sounds like it'll fit the bill for me in these lean times.

I hate this economy right now. I look at what I make per gig ($100) and calculated that I just made more money selling all my gear than I'll make this year playing gigs!!!! That sucks.

4. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    Hang in there, the Kay and PBass were nice instruments. Things will turn around. Thump on the new EB for a while, and keep the eye on the prize. (NS Cleveland)
    Best,
    Tom

5. No I haven't played the Eastwood or the Kay but I'd sure like to. I think the Kay is a better looking bass and it comes with a review that you like, so I would go with the Kay.

I don't like the tortiouse shell but the black one is really nice.