Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kay Bows

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by rablack, Apr 24, 2001.

1. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    An initially happy tale - While doing a final clean out of my grandparent's house I recently ran across my mother's old Kay bow (german) which she used in high school in the mid 50's. It was in decent shape except for the finish (camber ok, no right or left deflections). Hadn't had hair in who knows how long.

First Question: Does anyone know what Kay bows from the 40's-50's were made from? Pernambuco? Brazilwood? The finish on it is so chalky I can't tell much about the wood. I know the frog is some kind of painted wood rather than ebony.

The saga continues and turns tragic - My five year old boy broke the bow just 2 hours after I found it (it was an accident but he knew he wasn't supposed to be touching it). This was worse than never having found the bow to begin with. There are two breaks - the shaft near the tip split following the grain. The shaft is intact (still attached) and the split is clean, about 1/2 way through the thickness of the shaft. Second break - the tip itself completely broke in two about halfway down again cleanly.

Second Question: I intend to have the bow repaired and rehaired for sentimental reasons. Any chance that it could still be a decent bow?

Any thoughts on potential costs? Any recommendations for repairpersons?

p.s. No, I didn't thrash him. But he will see his considerably large and full piggy bank completely emptied out to help pay for this repair.

2. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I learned on a Kay German bow and it pains me to say this, but the repair would be considerably more than the bow was worth. A fiberglass bow would be its equivalant. Mine has a crack in the tip and needs recambered, but for sentimental reasons I haven't been able to throw it out, much to my wifes chagrin. I think they were made from the cheapest wood available.

Monte